Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 7, 2014

Monday Musings: what happens when an exciting thing is over?

You plan for months for your trip. Where to stay? What to see? What to pack? How long to be in each destination? Then it's time to leave. You weather the inevitable travel glitches. Perhaps a hotel isn't what you imagined it to be. Perhaps the crowds prevent you from seeing a particular sight--not enough time. You revel in what you do see, however, and maybe, if you're lucky, the trip exceeds your expectations. Then it's over and you are back at home, mired in your routine. Doing laundry. Going through snail mail. Sifting through email. Paying bills. Grocery Shopping.

I've done enough travel over the last 18 years to know that I will have the inevitable letdown after a trip, especially a magical one like this trip to Italy and Romania. I used to get slightly depressed. But now, I just start thinking about where I want to go next. And what else in my life am I passionate about that feeds my soul. Hubby is enamored with Harry Potter, so our next trip might be one not too far away--Universal Studios and the new Harry Potter experience. Who knows?

In the meantime, to keep from allowing the letdown to get me down, I am focusing on airbrushing the language in my novel. Next step - find a line editor to nail down the grammatical issues and all the places I misused or forgot commas.

One of the readers I gave the manuscript to before I went to Europe said to me at dinner the other night, "You have to publish this book." I looked at her. She said, "No, really, you have to exhaust every possible option to get this book published."

Okay. That will keep me from feeling a letdown.

Blessing,
Karen

10 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We're going to Universal next year! After our week at Disney last year, we're all set for another.
I think I continue to relive the trip through photos since it takes me a week or two to sort through them. (I took almost 1000 at Disney last year.)

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, you're right it's hard to keep that exciting feeling once you return from a trip and things return to normal. I love your idea of already planning your next trip. Have you thought about reliving your trip by sharing it with others like those at the nursing homes where you sing? Your beautiful photos and stories from the trip would make a wonderful presentation. BTW, be sure to follow your reader's advice - make sure you publish your book.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Life seems rather dull when you come back from vacation.
You heard your friend - you have to publish that book!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, ooh, wouldn't it be cool if we went the same time and could meet in person? Between hubs and me, we took 1200 pics on this trip.
Mason, That's a wonderful idea - and I will definitely follow her advice.
Alex, I know. I do. I will.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Fantastic advice from your friend!

My son recently returned from a very meaningful mission trip to an inner city area in the north. He learned a lot from the experience, but I could tell it was tough for him to integrate back into regular life. I told him I've felt the same before, too. Glad to hear we're not the only ones.

L.G. Smith said...

Yes, the months of anticipation before a trip are so much fun. Then the trip goes by in a flash. Always a little bit of a let down to come home and not have a maid anymore. :)

And good luck on that novel. I hope you start querying soon….or self-publish. Whichever you choose.

Jemi Fraser said...

There are so many incredible places on this world, there's no way you'll run out of plans for next time!
Great response from your friend!

Robin said...

I think you've nailed this one. The best way to deal with travel decompression and depression is to plan the next one. That way you are always excited about what is next.

Your friend gave you a lovely compliment on your book. I bet that felt amazing!

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, no not alone at all!
L.G.thanks about the novel - I am beginning the thought process and drafts of query/synopsis
Jemi, so true - yes, it was
Robin, yup, that's the idea - and yes, it did feel amazing

Sharon Lippincott said...

Sounds like you have trip recovery well in hand. I hope you never have one you are RELIEVED to return home from, LOL. We'll be aboard ship for an entire month this fall, and I had not thought of the shock of having to clean and cook when I get back. Ugh!

I totally concur with that advice to publish. The game is changing and you can run a PubSlush campaign to help offset publishing costs. That effort will also build platform. Check that out. NAMW's monthly roundtable is on July 10, and it's free. Learn more and sign up at http://ow.ly/yU9Rf