Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Divine Self versus human self

For most of my life I have been an emotionally reactive person. By that I mean that I get triggered easily into negative thoughts and feelings, mostly about myself. My healing journey has been a long and hard one, but at last, I have reached a new plateau. Now, when I get emotionally triggered, what I call my Divine Self is right there with me. It is as if I am split in two: the little girl who feels unloved and unwanted and the Divine Self that knows the truth and is connected to the Light of Spirit. It is quite amazing. What is happening is that the emotional triggers are less intense and don't last very long. I guess the intent is to be more and more connected to Divine Self more and more of the time. Not easy, since we are human after all.

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The human part will always drag us down. One day we'll dump this form and those things won't bother us anymore.
Glad you have a better handle on things now.

Mason Canyon said...

What a wonderful way to approach things. Our human side does tend to be quite negative at times. You've discovered a good way to deal with that.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, won't that be wonderful?
Mason, thanks

Sharon Lippincott said...

Great lesson and reminder. Maybe this is like learning to correct posture flaws. Early on, reminders help. Eventually cues are internalized and quickly recognized. So ... maybe attitude adjustment partners would be a good thing.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Great lesson and reminder. Maybe this is like learning to correct posture flaws. Early on, reminders help. Eventually cues are internalized and quickly recognized. So ... maybe attitude adjustment partners would be a good thing.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Karen, this is so beautiful. You are a daughter of God, and I like how you describe the process. So very inspiring.

Karen Walker said...

Sharon, sigh, so many lessons learned later in life would have been so helpful earlier
Karen, thank you!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love that you have found this balance. Not many people can do that. It shows your high level of introspection.

Murees Dupé said...

I need to connect with my divine- self more. It is a good thing that you have a good balance at this moment. The human-self is so hard to silence and control, but it is great that you have it beat.

Karen Walker said...

Keith, yeah, I love it, too. It's been a long time coming.
Murees - I wish you success in finding your way.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - you seem to be working through things in the best way possible - so pleased for you ... it's difficult to adjust at times.

Cheers Hilary

LD Masterson said...

God always sends us His light, we just need to find ways to look for it. Sounds like you've found a good one.

Ann Best said...

Well said, Karen. It isn't easy being human. As human, we are "natural" man/woman, an enemy to God, or in your word, the Divine. We do have to connect with "Spirit," what I would call the Light of Christ. Like you, as I grow older and work on this aspect of my self, I'm finding that I feel so much calmer; less likely to take offense; able to help Jen feel calmer too.

So glad that you stopped by to welcome me back to Blogger. You are one of the friends I hoped would drop by. Now I'll have to catch up on past posts of yours. I notice in one that you were having some health problems recently. With an a-fib and PACs. There IS always something, it seems, but I hope you're doing well today.