Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: I hate this

I hate this next step. Why can't I just magically have my book out in the world, on bookshelves in bookstores everywhere? Is it laziness? I don't think so. Is it fear? Oh yeah. Is it lack of knowledge?Partly, but I'm filling in those gaps. So why do I hate this so much. It's simple really. I DON'T WANT TO DO THE THINGS I HAVE TO DO TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Last time I went through this, I tortured myself emotionally. This time, it is helping to acknowledge the truth. I hate having to do this. But am I going to do it anyway? Yes. Am I willing to do whatever I have to do to get this book out in the world? Yes. Am I going to torture myself emotionally? No. There! That was easy. Admitting the truth is the first step - awareness. Then comes acceptance. After acceptance comes action. I'm ready. I'm willing. I'm able. Here we go.....

Blessings
Karen

21 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It doesn't have to be torture. Make your plans, go through the steps, and just let what happens happen. It will be all right.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Kudos to you for vowing to do whatever it takes, regardless of wanting to or not :)

Mason Canyon said...

You can make it happen this time without all the problems you had earlier. You're stronger, smarter, in a better place physically and emotionally, and you have a book that needs to be published. Go for it. It will happen without all the extra stress. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Sending good thoughts your way. It will all work out.

L.G. Smith said...

It isn't personal, it's just business. Let's do this thing. :D

Karen Walker said...

Alex, thanks for the reminder - there is a slogan from Al-Anon, Take the Action, Let Go of the Result. I have to put that up all over my house.
Keith, thanks
Mason, this is me we're talking about, LOL
Susanne, thank you so much
LG., I read your post as, "it's personal, not business" at first, LOL. Oh Lordy.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's the way of the world .. but much worse if you think you hate it - when you don't .. it's just a pain for a while ... but lists and ticks and move on ..

Good luck - cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's like ripping off a band-aid. You just have to do it. And you can't wait until you feel like doing it or don't hate it. You have to fake it until you make it.

Robin said...

I do think that the amount of anxiety we attach to something feeds on itself. Did that just make sense? No? Let me try again. If we worry about something before it happens we are giving it even more power to be worrisome. Whereas, if we decide that we are smarter this time, have a better support system, and we learned something from the last go-round... ergo, this time will be easier... it probably will.

Have you ever found that what you anticipate happening is often the thing that happens?

pullupatoadstool.com said...

I'm so proud of you for doing this Karen, and know how difficult this has been. Trust, because you are more than capable of this.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yup, can't wait for these feelings to pass. I gust it. Thankfully, I am still revising - but thinking about this nonetheless.
Robin, yes, I have found that to be very true. I try to monitor my thoughts but sometimes they get away from me.
Tracy, thanks - it has been a very hard journey. Trust? Ha!

Karen Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Jones Gowen said...

There's a lot of good advice in these comments. Good luck, Karen!

LD Masterson said...

Stay with it. You can handle this.

Crystal Collier said...

Well as long as you can get through the torture, because post publication promotions only get worse. =) I think every step along the journey prepares you for the next.

Karen Walker said...

Karen, yes, there is. Thanks.
LD, I can. I know I can. I can I can I can
Crystal, oy, don't even want to think about that.

Pearson Report said...

Be like the little train that could… if you want this bad enough you will get it.

You can, You can, You can… if You want to. :)

Gina Gao said...

It will be alright. You can do this!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Tonja said...

I think part of this journey is about pushing ourselves farther than we think we can go. Just don't push too hard all at once. :)

Tonja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Best said...

I wish you every success, Karen. Let me know when you do it. I know I won't do another book, even with a traditional publisher. Social media has changed so much since I did my memoir, and it's SO boggling. But this is such a supportive community...the Blogger community...that I'll know you'll get the encouragement and also the help you need. Determination is the key, and you have that. Yay for you.