Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: My kindle seems to have died

Oh dear, my Kindle Fire just fizzled out. It won't take a charge. Can't turn it on. The Tech support lady said she's ship a new charger chord to see if that's the problem, but methinks it's the battery in the Kindle itself that went wonky.  Do any of you techie people out there know if I buy an I Pad (mini), can I get all the stuff from my Kindle transferred onto the iPad?

So appreciate some advice here. I'd really prefer an iPad if I have to purchase a new device, but not if I'll lose everything on my Kindle.

Oy!
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - can't help with the techie bits - but sincerely hope you can transfer all your Kindle ebooks over ...

I have both - so I can see the differences and still need to really get to grips with both - ie read books, and use the ipad every day ..

Sorry about the Kindle, but good luck .. cheers Hilary

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I wish I knew. I am not much of a techie. I have a Kindle but I rarely use it. Surely the batteries in them would last longer I would hope!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't think you can transfer it to the iPad, unless you stored it in the Amazon Cloud as well. (Then you can access that through your iPad.) Google it and I bet you'll find your answer for sure.
Seems Kindle batteries die often. We have several iPads in our house and all of them still work great.

Linda Hoye said...

All of your Kindle books will be available on the Kindle app on the iPad.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Yikes, my Kindle is still chugging along.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, everyone. The tech lady told me it was probably cause I kept it plugged in all the time. Geez, shouldn't they tell you not to do that if it wears out the battery?
Linda, really? That will be awesome.
Alex, yes, I'll google for sure.

L.G. Smith said...

Yeah, what Linda said. You just have to download the Kindle app to your iPad. All your books will be stored in the "cloud" and will be downloaded when you open the file. :)

Jack said...

That is very annoying and tragic when that happens. I have had Nooks and some died and took all of my books with them. Sadly I have no advice on how transferring things from one device to another works. Tech and I have issues with each other.

Mason Canyon said...

All the tech stuff drives me crazy. I wish they explained things better about the charging process too. Hope you get everything working.

Robin said...

I am sorry that this happened... I see from the comments, though, that you got your question answered:)

Loni Townsend said...

You will be able to transfer your books, as other people said. Before your purchase, you might look at an iPad mini at your local electronic store, and open up the Kindle app (or have them install it if it isn't installed). Not all reading environments are the same. One tablet I picked up gave me a headache when I tried to read on it. Apple iPads are pretty good though.

Karen Walker said...

Thank you all so much. The new chord arrived today and yippee, the Kindle now works again. But now I know if I give in to my desire and get an i pad, I can' transfer the stuff.
You guys rock!
See you all next week
karen

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Karen. I see from your last comment that it was the cord that needed to be replaced. Glad that it wasn't anything more serious.

Crystal Collier said...

Actually, I wouldn't buy an ipad. I'd buy a tablet and install the kindle app on it. Works just as well if not better than a Fire. (I've killed two of those, by the way.) We went with an Asus Vivotech (I believe) so I could have the detachable keyboard should I end up away from home and suddenly be struck with writerly genius.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, I've tried the Kindle app on everything but a Mac. The Windows version is the lamest. The Android app is about the same as the Kindle itself, and the iPad app is the best. Although I'm not looking back from my switch to Android for overall use, for straight reading, the iPad still has the edge.

If you're used to a Kindle, a smaller iPad will be fine. If you want to mark up pdf manuscripts with the awesome apps for that, bigger is better. But rumor has it that Apple will come out with a hard-tip, pressure sensitive stylus (i.e. the Samsung S pen) and palm rejection in another version or two, so you may want to minimize your investment now. Those features are among the many where Samsung and Toshiba run circles around iPad.

Sharon Lippincott said...

P.S. It's unlikely that all your books will automatically download, but they will be in the cloud. After you log in with your Amazon ID, you can browse the contents of your cloud. Select any you want to download and you're good to go.

Anything you've "sent to Kindle" should also be there.