Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Insecure Writers Support Group - August

Alex,www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com, I am particularly grateful this month that you created The Insecure Writers Support Group.


I'm getting ready to get my book published. How, you ask? I want  to try traditional publishing, but after reading several posts over the last few weeks, I'm not so sure. First of all, I'm not sure I want to embark on a 1-2 year journey. Secondly, if a book only has a shelf life of 3 months with a traditional publisher, I don't think that's enough time for a book to take hold and sell. I'm still pondering while I complete final revisions.

Am I insecure? You betcha. Am I afraid? Terrified is more like it. What am I afraid of, you ask?
That I won't get any positive responses from agents or small publishers. That I will get positive responses from agents or small publishers. That readers won't like the book. That readers will like the book. That the book won't get any praise. That the book will receive praise.  That no one will buy it. That lots of folks will purchase it.

You get the idea. I'm just a plain, simple, neurotic writer.
How about you?
blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So you're afraid of success and of failure?

Arlee Bird said...

You make good points about publishing that are well worth considering.

Your apprehensions are not only understandable, but they are probably very common among those who have finished a book. Maybe that's why I've been having such a difficult time finishing anything.

You can make it work--whichever way you go with it.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Mason Canyon said...

Having those mixed feelings is understandable. Your at a big step in your writing process, but you'll take the right path.

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Diane, I am afraid of both for reasons too complicated to go into here.
Lee, thank you for understanding
Mason, I'm trying to tell myself there's no right or wrong way to do this, just the way I need to do it that feels right for me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now I feel insecure...
Deep breaths. Research everything. Ignore bad reviews. And go on faith.

Loni Townsend said...

Valid insecurities. With success comes pressure, with failure comes sorrow. I think you'll choose the right path for you, whether it's traditional or self-publishing.

Loni

Julie Flanders said...

This made me smile a bit because I was/am afraid of all of these things. So I am right there with you. I hope you find the right path for you and your book, I'm sure you will.

Stephanie Bird said...

Karen I'm visiting from the IWSG. The journey to traditional publishing can be long in some cases, it can also be quicker than 1-2 years from the time the manuscript is submitted. I've seen a 6 month turnaround as the quickest. That's what my current publisher is projecting. Also I've had all my books in print since they were first published. The first one was published in 2004 and the most recent 2010, so what you say about a 3 year limit isn't always true, at least not for nonfiction. I agree with Alex Cavanaugh--go on faith. Put your fears aside and enjoy the journey whether you decide to self-publish or go the traditional route.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Karen, you sound like a very typical writer embarking on a rocky journey of publication. Breathe deep, relax and crawl out on that limb...

M.R. R. said...

All I can say is I hope things work out for you.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, oh no, didn't mean to make you feel insecure. Sorry. Love your advice. Will take it for sure.
Lori, thanks for the validation.
Julie, thanks so much for the good wishes
Stephanie, thanks for the positive information
Cathrina, okay, I know I'm out there with lots of other wonderful writers.
MRR, thank you so much

Jennifer Chandler said...

To self publish or not to self publish? That seems to be the big question in the writing community today. I used to be adamantly against self publishing, but the more research I do, and the more self published writers I meet, I'm warming up to the idea. The way trad publishers make you do all the marketing now days, you might as well try your hand at self publishing. At least that way, you do all the work AND keep all the profit! :) Too bad it's not that simple a decision to make. You'll do fine, though! You've got a wonderful community here who will support you and walk you through either process you choose! Best of luck to you, Karen :) ~Jen

Brandon Ax said...

Sounds about right lol. Good luck on getting it out there though it is always amazing to see your book in print.

Sharon Lippincott said...

I remember hearing or reading something about Goddess commanding you to write the book. Ask her what she wants you to do with it now that it's finished, and get yourself out of that loop. No kidding. Try it! Listen and don't question. Just do what she tells you.

Beyond that, she wanted the book to be written -- she got you to do it. She can find readers and do what's needed. Maybe with your help, maybe other ways too. Think of this as HER book and relax!

Cheers!

Karen Walker said...

Brandon, thanks
Sharon, this is why I love you so much!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Karen,

I feel the same way. I've been shopping my book for the past three months and all I'm getting are rejections....

Not fun. I wondering if it's good enough. I know it is ... has several reviews from very savvy bloggers who TELL it like it is. I get the usual advice. DON'T give up! It take many tries before you land an agent...

I wonder.

Several of my blogger friends landed an agent almost immediately. So it's all in the timing, I guess and PART of our 'writer's journey."

Wishing you smooth and steady one.....