Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 18, 2014

Monday Musings: Who is going to be my advocate when I can't advocate for myself?

My cardiologist ordered a heart monitor for me two weeks ago. It didn't come. I called the office and they said to come in and pick it up. I did that on Thursday. They said to call the monitor company Friday morning to activate. I did. They had no orders from the cardiologist office. I called the doc back. The person who handles it wasn't in. I called back an hour later. I was told he was out for the day. I asked the receptionist if anyone else could let the monitoring company know this was needed.
Nothing. I called the monitoring company back and asked if there was a phone # to call to get this resolved. There was. I called the doc back and gave them the #. One of the receptionists took it upon herself to call and the monitoring company walked her thru the process to get me on the books, so to speak. Voila, I was hooked up. I asked to speak to her supervisor to let them know she had gone above and beyond the call of duty. Then I tried the monitor. Didn't work. They are fed-exing me one tomorrow.

Now I ask you, who is going to do this for me when I can no longer do it for myself. My husband, wonderful, loving man that he is, would just have accepted what he was told at first, that the guy was not in yet and would be told about this. I don't know many people as tenacious as I am when something just isn't acceptable or just doesn't make sense.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Murees Dupé said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. It is great that you spoke up when you weren't satisfied. I hope things improve. Please take care of yourself. Wishing you all the best.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Thank goodness for people like that receptionist. And it was wonderful of you to let her supervisor know that she had gone above and beyond like that!!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Like you, I *am* the advocate. I worry about this sometimes!

So sorry you had to go through that mess...how frustrating! Glad you speak up like you do.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you had such a run around. I'd fought for answers. My wife is pretty stubborn and I think she would have done the same thing.

Mason Canyon said...

So glad you stood your ground and got things going. Very poor service from the doctor's side. It's great the receptionist helped. It's sad to say there are few like her in any workplace today. Hope things get to working quickly for you. Your questions has me wondering now because I'm that advocate. Take care.

Bish Denham said...

Lucky for me my husband is pretty darn tenacious. More so than me in a lot of ways. That receptionist deserves those kudos. Hope everything goes well for you from this point on.

Jennifer Chandler said...

I know what you mean. I'm dealing with this type of thing getting SOMEONE with Student Loans to understand that I want to pay them...just not the exorbitant amount they believe I can pay...ugh.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself and thank goodness for that receptionist who was willing to help you out! Hope this all clears up soon!

Jen

D.G. Hudson said...

I'm having to advocate for my husband right now as he is in the hospital after a heart attack. I was wondering the same thing about why some people go above and beyond the job and others can't seem to do the basics right.

We have to chase down the information, complain to the right areas etc. Sorry you've having to deal with the maze that the medical system is becoming.
Who will advocate for us is a darn good question, but finding the answer may be more difficult.

Karen Walker said...

Murees, thanks so much. I will.
Keith, I had to let her supervisor know. I'm sure mostly all they hear are complaints.
Elizabeth, thanks. I'm glad I am able to speak up.
Alex, that's good about your wife. My hubby said he just would have accepted what the first person told me.
Mason, it's something we all need to think about.
Bish, yup, she sure does.
Jen, good luck with that.
D.G. So sorry about your husband. Hope he recovers quickly.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband would fight even harder. One time UPS messed up a delivery and after multiple phone calls, Craig scared them into free delivery and I got my camera the next day.

Arlee Bird said...

What a hassle you had to deal with! I think this sort of thing has become the trend rather than an unusual circumstance. Tenacity is the only way to get things done in many cases. Caring humans no longer keep track of us as much as humanless machines do and what do they care?

Remember when you could call a business or agency and a person would actually answer the phone? Now it can be a chore to actually reach a person and much of the time they don't care or just send you back through a circular system of hoop jumping.

Be tenacious for as long as you are able.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Diane, sounds like you have a great advocate in Craig.
Lee, so true, so true. I hate getting hung up in robotic switches and voice mail hell

Robin said...

I am not sure I would have continued on after all that... good for you! And, I think that the answer is not what you want to hear. In other words, most people tend to accept what they are told. We are conditioned by society to do that... not saying it is good, just that it is.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I know exactly what you mean, Karen. I advocate for my mom and am relentless in getting problems straightened out to our satisfaction. I can't see my husband or sons being that good at it. Maybe one of my darling daughters-in-law....

Sharon Lippincott said...

Wow! All that cortisol is not making your healthier. I had a similar problem with a ten day delay in getting a prescription filled. I finally went ape shit with the office manager. I don't like doing that. It doesn't feel good and it isn't good for me.

Making a decision to stay calm sounds good on paper.

Hope you get this taken care of soon without further delay or hassle.

Susanne Drazic said...

Wow, I'm so sorry about the runaround that you have had to deal with. The added stress doesn't help. I hope everything gets straightened out soon.