Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: sorting thru activities

What feeds my soul? What drains my energy? What makes me happy? What causes angst? What do I look forward to doing? What do I dread? What can I let go of? What do I need to add in? Is it all right to make a decision that affects other people if it's the best decision for me? How do I balance work, play, family, chores and those extra life blips that happen so frequently?

These are some of the questions that keep me up at night. And have me thinking during the day. I am at a point in my life where, if it doesn't feed my soul, I want to let it go. And if it is draining, I definitely want to let it go. So I'm sorting through my activities, people, places, and things, and will hopefully be making some positive changes over the next few months.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Life's too short to be surrounded by things and people who drain you.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is such a smart thing to do Karen. If it doesn't make us happy, we don't need it in our lives!

Mason Canyon said...

You can't let things and people drain your energy, life is too short for that. Letting go is hard somethings, but the best thing to do.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Chuck the negative. You're at a place now where you can choose your own obligations.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I'm having a real thorough clear out now - ruthless as I declutter and get ready to move on ...

Good luck to you ... forget all the things that don't help .. your glass is half full ... cheers Hilary

Robin said...

This is a post that I would have called establishing my boundaries. It is something that I, too, am in the process of doing. For some folks this comes VERY naturally and others... not so much.

Boundaries protect us. Boundaries insist that we not allow in those toxic, draining things. Boundaries dictate that we make the hard choice of (possibly) hurting the feelings of others to fulfill our own needs. It is actually very healthy. I know that it is hard. If you are used to setting aside your own wants and needs in favors of others... well, they are used to it, too. And when you stand up and say, "This is not healthy for me. I am sorry that you aren't getting your way here...." Well, it is tough. I tell myself that it will get easier. I believe it will.

Hang in there!

Susanne Drazic said...

Karen, best wishes with the changes you are making in your life.

Ann Best said...

Dear friend, YES. We WILL stay in touch. I want to stay in touch. My son and his wife here in Virginia want to relocate to Albuquerque. Don't want to see them go with their two little boys, but it would be better for them....IF they can sell their house. They may rent, though this is a bit scary with their finances. We'll see...but if they do move, I know I could get Jen and me out there at least once...and could hopefully see you too. It's something to think about.

As you say here, esp. as we get older, we have to let go of whatever impedes our emotional and spiritual progress. Stay with the Light. Stay focused on what's most important to you. You can do it!

annakindt said...

I wish you well with the changes you are making in your life. I know for myself there are some activities that I don't do enough of that help me, and there are some things that I ought to avoid if possible because they drain me.

annakindt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brandon Ax said...

These are very important things to ask. I have come to the felling that I have to do things in my life to find happiness. If the people around me truly love me as I do them then they will be happy about what I do.

Good luck on your changes.

PK Hrezo said...

Oh I so agree Karen. There's just no room for soul-sucking anything... especially people.

Hugs! And good luck with your housekeeping.