Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - September

Gosh, the months seem to fly by so fast these days. Once again, thank you Alex alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating the ISWG.  Check out Alex's blog for info on how to join and for lots of other great news.







This week I am hoping to receive what I pray is the last set of revision suggestions from my editor. I am ready to move this baby out of the womb and into the world. I am actually excited, rather than scared. A teensy weensy bit insecure. Wait a minute, is that the truth? No, I am way more than a teensy bit insecure. But I'm not scared. I just need to get quiet and search deep inside for the answers to my questions: Small press or self-publish? Agent? Illustration or photo for cover (if I self-pub)?
Can I hire someone to help with marketing?

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. Maybe if I say it enough times, I'll start believing it.
How about you?
Blessings
Karen

26 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Good luck with those revisions - I feel your baby is almost fully formed and ready to make its way in the world! It's a scary time but it's its own entity now - you need to give it the best possible chance. :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

There are so many publishing options these days, writing almost seems the easy part! Good luck with the revisions :-)

Caitlin Coppola said...

Keep saying it "I can do this. I can do this. I can do this." Believe it and it will come true. Good luck!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Just take one step at a time.

Jennifer Chandler said...

You CAN do this!! You have such a marvelous voice and story to tell! Whatever way you choose, pursue it with everything in you. Success is found at the end of the road of hard work, which you already know. Go after it! If one way (trad pub) doesn't work out, go after the other (self pub). Just whatever you do, don't give up! You CAN do it!!!
Cheers,
Jen

Mason Canyon said...

You're well on your way, Karen. You can do it.

Karen Walker said...

Nick, thanks so much for the kind words.
Annalisa, yes, I know - the options are great!
Caitlin, yup, that's the plan.
Diane, that's right -
Jen, Mason, thanks

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You can do it! And sounds like the IWSG book will come out at the right time for you.

cleemckenzie said...

Good luck and happy launch.

A. B. Keuser said...

Good Luck with those last revisions! And all your big decisions. There are so many options anymore it's hard to know if you're making the right choice

Julie Flanders said...

No doubt at all that you can do it. How exciting to think of your baby coming out into the world. :)

Liza said...

You have come this far. Just stay the course. You CAN do it.

Liza said...

You have come this far. Just stay the course. You CAN do it.

Georgina Morales said...

Well, wow. It sounds like you have your plate quite full! When my girls were born I was out-of-my-mind nervous, even on my second delivery. The idea of a baby coming out of such a small place just drove me nuts. Now, when I published my first novel I felt equally stressed. All the preparations and expectations boiling in my mind... I can't begin to imagine what you feel, but you seem to have the correct attitude and that is half the way.

I can only speak from my experience and every story I've written has been published by small presses. For me this has worked. It helped me learned the ropes and connect with other writers. I would recommend it to anyone who asked me.

I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours! May the force be with you =)

Juneta Key said...

Good Luck and Congrats. You can do it! Wishing You Much Success!
Juneta at Writer's Gambit

Cathrina Constantine said...

You can and will do it Karen! Check pk-hrezo.blogspot.com site today. Brinda Berry talks about formatting and getting up if you self-pub. Very Interesting. I'd query agents first then small pub, but I'm actually thinking about self-pubbing my ms that my agent wasn't able to sell.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds like you're ready to dive into the fun parts of writing. I love my small publishers but you have to pick the path that's best for you.

Julie Musil said...

Yay for you! Yes you CAN do this! The answers will come to you :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,

Yes you can! Go with your heart, it will lead you in the right direction...

If you self pub, there is SOOOO much information and help in our community...

And if you need a cover designer, let me know. I have a new one coming out on Friday... Another next month.

A cover is really important to showcase your writing at it's best. It's like a marriage.

ALL the best with your newest charge.......

Susanne Drazic said...

Karen, CONGRATS and good luck! : )

Fundy Blue said...

Just saying, "I CAN do this!" has gotten me through a lot of rough spots. You are doing it, Karen! Good luck as you keep on doing it.

annakindt said...

Believe in yourself! I'm sure you are less disorganized than I am, and I've been dreading the project of transferring the text of my self-published poetry book, Where the Opium Cactus Grows, to a Scrivener project in order to come out with a revised version which, unlike the original, will be available in e-book form as well as in print.

I finally tackled the project. And found that I could actually export the file and all I had to do was a lot of cut-and-paste to get it settled in Scrivener.

I hope you will find your challenges to be much less difficult than you thought they would be, as I did.

Tara Tyler R said...

those are some tough questions!! i say go with your gut! when in doubt, don't. and whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK! how exciting!

Robin said...

I don't have the answers to ANY of your questions, BUT I did dedicate something to you on the Thursday post. Hope you like it:)

mama lauren said...

To be capable of look back again on ones lifestyle in satisfaction, usually is to reside doubly.

jaket kulit domba
jaket kulit sapi asli
jaket kulit asli kambing

mama lauren said...

To be capable of look back again on ones lifestyle in satisfaction, usually is to reside doubly.

jaket kulit domba
jaket kulit sapi asli
jaket kulit asli kambing