Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 1, 2014

Monday Musings: Acceptance

Which movie had the line, "resistance is futile?" Was it Star Trek (Alex, help me here). Whatever, they were right. Resistance just makes things worse. Acceptance brings a peace. That doesn't mean there might not be strong emotions attached to whatever you're dealing with, but deep inside, there is a peace. That is where I am right now with my heart issue. And my novel. I am exploring alternative options that might make ablation not necessary. But if I must have ablation procedure, I will.

With my novel, as I near completion of revisions and final edits, I am leaning towards small press or self-publishing. At my age, I don't think I have the time or patience to play the waiting game with sending out a query, waiting for response, perhaps being asked for a partial, waiting more months, perhaps being asked for a full manuscript, waiting a few more months, then either getting rejected or being asked to re-write. At some point way down the line, an agent might accept me and then comes another waiting game as they approach publishers. I would love to be traditionally published. But is it the way for me to go? I'm still not 100% sure but I am leaning strongly towards "I don't think so."

Blessings
Karen

7 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Oh, I know that movie line, but can't remember where it came from!

I work with acceptance issues, too. Think I'm starting to improve with them.

Honestly...I don't think you can go wrong with self-pub.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Elizabeth

jaybird said...

It was totally Star Trek, it's a line that's repeated and spoken by the evil Borg.

Whatever seems right in your heart (please forgive the poor taste pun) is what you should do. Whether it be the procedure or the traditional pubbing vs. indie.

Robin said...

I can't tell you which Star Trek it was, but I do believe that it related The Borg as they were all part of The Collective and once you were made Borg, resistance was futile. You surrendered your sense of self to The Collective. Alex can correct me if I am wrong in there anywhere... and I might very well be. And I have distinct memories of this being The Next Generation cast.

Now... about YOU. I guess I think of the Serenity Prayer.... accepting that which we cannot change. However, I do believe in changing the things we can (assuming that they need it). So, change what you can and accept what you cannot.

Only you can decide what is the Right Thing for your novel. Sounds like you are making progress in that direction.

Karen Walker said...

Jaybird, thank you - that's right, it was The Borg. And the pun fits!
Robin, thank you - yes, the Serenity Prayer - such wisdom!

Suze said...

When the spirit strongly leans, there's typically wisdom.

Arlee Bird said...

I hear what you're saying. At least you have a few options.

Lee
Wrote By Rote