Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 22, 2014

Monday Musings: "I might as well be in India"

I love the reality show "The Voice." The talent is usually phenomenal and the judges are fun to watch.    I think it was two years ago that a young 16-year-old girl named Danielle Bradbury won. She had one of the best voices I'd heard on the show.

Well, two weeks ago my hubby informed me she was going to sing at our State Fair and asked if I wanted to go. I did. He came home the next day with tickets. What I didn't know is that her concert was after the rodeo. I am a city girl. Grew up in NY. I've never been to a rodeo.

Friday night we went to the Fair early so we could walk around before the rodeo began at 7 pm. The highlight for me was getting to pet a 2-week-old duck and a big ole steer. There was a great band playing near the food court, covering songs like "Play That Funky Music White Boy." It got me out of my funk.

We arrive at the rodeo arena. Everyone is dressed in western clothes, except us. Well, we both wore jeans and blue shirts, but I don't think jeans are considered western. I've never seen so many cowboy hats in one place. And the cowgirls wore sparkly shirts and tons of make up. There was hee-hawing and words and language I did not know.

I didn't mind the events - although I think riding a bucking bronco or a bucking bull is insane and I don't know how the cowboy's backs don't get broken. The one event I couldn't watch was the rope tie. It seems like when the rope went around the cow's neck and it is jerked down to the ground, well, that's gotta hurt. I was rooting for the cows.

I turned to hubby at one point and said, "I might as well be in India, this is so culturally different from anything I've experienced." Hubby laughed.

The saddest part was not being able to stay for Danielle's concert. The music was so loud - and listen people, I'm a child of the 60s. I grew up with loud rock 'n roll and love it. This was so loud it hurt my ears. I couldn't enjoy the music. After two songs, we left. Am I just getting too old?

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

This would be outside my comfort zone a little and I *didn't* grow up in a city! But sounds like it was all a lot of fun to see. I'm with you with the loud music...I can't handle it. I skipped an outdoor concert on Labor Day for the same reason.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL! I don't know about too old, but I think we finally get to the point where we just can't handle some things anymore.

We used to go to the Pendleton Roundup in Oregon when we lived there, so I'm familiar with rodeos. Although at the fair, you'll find me wherever the animals are.

Mason Canyon said...

I'm a country girl so the rodeo is always a fun time for us. But I don't think I've ever been to one at a fair. Sounds like the event was a fun experience for you. Sorry you didn't get to hear the singer you wanted to. I agree with Diane, I think we just get to a point (not an age) where we can't handle things anymore.

Karen Walker said...

This makes me feel so much better.

L.G. Smith said...

Wow, that's pretty bad if you can't enjoy the music because it's painfully loud. And, yeah, I've been to our National Western Stock Show once before in Denver, and it is a different world. But I love horses, so I enjoyed that part.

Arlee Bird said...

I've been to a couple of rodeos. It was a fun and interesting experience, but it's not something that I'd want to do on a regular basis.

You're right about the loud music. Even when I was younger I had a low tolerance for excessively loud music and some concerts just go overboard. I don't like to leave a concert with my ears ringing. I can't blame you for leaving.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been to rodeos, but I would feel as out of place as you did.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. as you can imagine - I've never been to a rodeo .. but I do hate loud, loud music .. as you mention you can't hear anything ...

Congratulations to having your book mentioned by Diane (Spunk on a Stick) ... in her latest post ..

Cheers Hilary

Sharon Lippincott said...

I'd love to hear even more about the rodeo. Your word picture of the painted ladies -- women that is, WERE they "ladies"? -- is fun.

But noise? Noise makes me ill. We'll soon be on a huge cruise ship with top-notch shows. I probably won't go to many, and I'll wear ear plugs when I do. They are FAR too loud. Most passengers agree, but I'm the only one willing to say so to management. Maybe they are aiming for those oldsters who are hard of hearing. If I keep going, I'll soon be in their ranks!

It's not lost on me that the sound crew wears noise-canceling headphones.

Susanne Drazic said...

I don't like when the music is too loud anywhere. I keep telling myself that I should keep a pair of earplugs in my purse, for just in case situations.