Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: doing everything I want to do

Being 65 and having some health issues that are a bit scary has caused me to reflect even deeper than usual about how I want to spend my remaining time on Earth. Each year around New Year's, I do an exercise which helps me get clear on my priorities. I have accomplished many of the things that have emerged from that exercise. But there are still important things I feel I want to do: publish my novel, travel a bit more, write the two nonfiction books that have been simmering on the back burner for years, to name a few.

I worry sometimes that I won't have time to do everything. Truth is, I probably won't, which is why getting clear about priorities is so important. I don't want to have any regrets when I get to the end of my life. I want to live each day as fully as possible. So why is it that I waste so much time doing stupid things like online jigsaw puzzles or spider solitaire? Wasting time is like throwing money in the garbage can and the trash people come and take it away. You can never get it back.

I am hereby resolving to make an effort to not waste as much time. How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Cathrina Constantine said...

I totally understand what your feeling. As I grow older I feel the need to get more accomplished, but sometimes it's just not happening.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I personally am om of the opinion that time enjoyed is not time wasted. So if you enjoy the jigsaw puzzles, then is it really wasting time? :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We don't have time for everything. We just have to make what time we have count, both for us and for others.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sometimes we just need a little down time too! And that's okay - the brain needs a break now and again :)

Karen Walker said...

Oh, I love you guys. You are so wise.

Robin said...

I am not sure that is wasted time. It is often when we allow our brains to rest that we get our best ideas. I think creative types need that Down Time just as much as anyone else... if not more!

Arlee Bird said...

I could have put my name on this post. I think these thoughts more often these days.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Calvin Bett said...

Wise thoughts. Appreciated

-blessed holy socks said...

I draw-like-a-‘nom-de-plume’ our long-years-of-faith -2- decipher the voracious dynamic -2- to make a perfectly cognizant, fully-spectacular, Son-ripened-Heaven… yet, I’m not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-groovy-paradox, treasureNpleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Meet me Upstairs. Cya soon…

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I think we all have similar thoughts. But ya know? Don't think of doing puzzles or playing games as a waste of time. Think of them as exercising your brain. Besides, they're FUN. We've gotta have fun, too. Life isn't all about what we "accomplish." Sometimes it's enough to simply... be.