Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Light at the end of the tunnel

Oh, I am almost there. I am so close I can taste it. I think by the end of this week I will be able to call my novel done. Man, that sounds so weird to my ears because I never intended to write a novel. I was and am a non-fiction writer. But I did it. I listened to the voice that came to me in Scotland and Ireland and I "told her her story." I feel so good about it. Someone said they were having "fun" writing fiction again after a long break. Maybe if I attempt another novel some day, I might have fun, but this was definitely not fun. It bordered on torture at times. But now that I'm almost done, I have to say it is very very cool that I wrote a novel. Even if it never sees the light of day. But it will. I am determined to publish this baby. So stay tuned...

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

When you finish, celebrate big time this weekend! Congratulations, Karen.
And I never intended to write a novel either...

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, I'm so happy for you!! Your novel will see the light of day. But you have the remember the old saying, 'Never say never.' Another voice may decide they have a story that needs telling too. Wishing you all the best.

L.G. Smith said...

Yay! Congratulations. You wrote a novel!

By coincidence, my final edits are done this week too. High-five. :D

Karen Walker said...

Alex, Mason is right, I guess we should never say never.
Mason, thank you. Oy, another voice?
L.G. High five right back at ya! Congrats.

Robin said...

I believe it was Dorothy Parker who said, "I hate writing. I love having written."

I know just what she means and I know you do, too.

Congratulations!!!!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is so awesome Karen, all your hard work is about to pay off big time :)

Karen Walker said...

Robin, that quote is so so true.
Keith, thank you so much.

Suze said...

Where you apply your determination, Karen, I know results are inevitable.

Liza said...

More power to you for getting it done when it felt that hard. Congratulations!

Arlee Bird said...

I'm excited for you. I hope you see publication for it, but you're right that having written a novel is a pretty cool accomplishment. I look forward to your novel release!

Lee
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Suze, yup, tenacious old me!
Liza, thank you
Lee, feeling pretty done good about it - thank you.

Susanne Drazic said...

That is AWESOME, Karen!

Ann Best said...

Congratulations, Karen. I do hope to read it, one way or another. What an accomplishment!

Manzanita said...

Karen
I love lights at the ends of tunnels. All that dark and the voila, a light that says, come hither. (or this way, bub)

D Biswas said...

I'm finishing my second draft this week, and it hasn't been fun either. Satisfactory, yes, but NOT fun.

Congratulations on a job well done.