Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: making peace with food

For those of you who don't know, for most of my adult life I was very heavy. I yo-yo dieted for years, but could never remain at a healthy weight. Then, about six years ago, I hired a nutritionist who taught me how to eat. I lost 50 pounds and have maintained it since then.

A year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and now it isn't so easy to maintain my weight. I seem to gain for no reason at all. What it made me realize is that it's not about the food I eat. Sure, if I ate the way I used to eat, I'd gain weight, thyroid or no thyroid issue. But I'm not doing that. It's something I have absolutely no control over, other than to tweak my thyroid meds.

I will tell the truth here. I am afraid of food and what it will do to me--either give me a few pounds I don't want or give me acid reflux, or cause phlegm to make my throat hoarse and my vocal chords to get coated so I can't sing. But I need to make peace with it. I no longer want to fear what I eat. I need to make food my friend. I need to relax and trust that I will make healthy choices and when I don't, that it's okay.

Life is too darned short to live in fear of food, or anything else, for that matter.
What do you think?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great attitude, Karen. Just relax and don't let the food control you, either.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I like your attitude toward food. I also love the way you took charge by hiring a nutritionist...what a great idea!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - well done on keeping the weight off ... it's so difficult to keep away from food - if you like it, like I do ...

All the best .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Alex, that's what I need to do, all right.
Elizabeth, it was one of the smartest things I've ever done.
Hilary, thanks, yes, it is hard.

D.G. Hudson said...

I acquired a digestive problem when my daughter became ill with a chronic disease (it's caused by stress) There's a lot I can't eat, then hubby got gall bladder problems and there was more we couldn't eat.

I've made my peace now with food and just avoid what causes me problems. When we were in Paris, I had no problems with the food, as nearly everything is made fresh.

My choices are limited, but health and weight is maintained. Food isn't as important as it used to be. Our doctor said 'it's only food' when hubs complained, life is more important. He's right.

Karen Walker said...

D.G., yup, when I'm in Europe I have much less problems with food as well. Your doc has it right. It's only food.

Manzanita said...

The right food won't make us fat and I have that lesson to learn too. A very difficult one to learn.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen! The food thing is tough, especially when health issues are involved. I give myself occasional treats and try mostly to cut back on quantity, but it's still a struggle.

Susanne Drazic said...

Karen, having a good attitude about food is a big plus. I struggle with food choices at time.

Suze said...

This post gets to the heart of what it is to be human, Karen. I've no pat answers, but I've read this and feel the topic is of vital importance. I hope it helps you to know that, as a mom, food is enormous preoccupation of mine--since my daughter is skinny but has a sweet tooth!