Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: one day at a time

When I'm stressed I get anxious. And when I get anxious I can't focus on anything without thinking about what was or what will be. I need to be focused on what is. There are a lot of irons in the fire right now. Finishing revisions on my novel, getting ready for my son's wedding, trying to decide what to do about my heart problem, and mysteriously gaining weight again (probably that wonky ole thyroid).

What is helping me is reminding myself that I can only do one thing at a time, one day at a time. Yesterday is gone, no use torturing myself over what I did that was wrong or what I didn't do I should have done. Tomorrow isn't here yet, so why torture myself over what may not even happen? Instead, just do the best I can right now, in this moment.

How about you? Do you live in the past or the future and forget the now?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't remember what I had for dinner last night...
I'm usually in the here in now. Sometimes in the future, but rarely in the past. It just doesn't stay with me.
Cool your son is getting married.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I used to, but these days I am able to focus on the "what is" as you say. I slip up every once in a while and find myself looking forward or back, but not as much as I used to :-)

Karen Walker said...

Alex, LOL, I love this. My hubby is like that, too.
Keith, you have good reasons to be in the now, yes?

Mason Canyon said...

I tend to think too much about what I should or could have done. I'm trying to stay more focused in the present. I like your post, it's inspiring.

Eva Prokop said...

Boy you do have a lot of irons in the fire! I hope you can take those irons, one by one, out of the fire and stick them in a pail of cold water.
I do my best to live in the 'now', but I have a history of mulling over the past and wondering what I could have done that I didn't....or what I did do but shouldn't have...it's an exercise in futility, because what's done is done and there's nothing anyone can do about it...all we can do is take the lessons we learned yesterdy with us into today, and add today's lessons to tomorrow...and on and on...good reminder to do our best to live in the 'now'.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I don't mind occasionally visiting the past, or pondering the future, but for the most part, I live in the here and now. After all, it's the "real thing." (Apologies to Coca Cola.) Carpe the crap outta the diem!

Arlee Bird said...

I forget about domani more than I should and mostly live in the present. I do like to think about and write about the past, but I don't want to grieve about it or live in it in any unhealthy way.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Jack said...

I think we all do that at some points in our lives. it is hard to focus on things that need our attention now with so much happening all at once.

I am keeping you in my prayers. Health problems only make everything feel worse.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I do my best to live in the now, but it can be hard to let go of the bad things in the past and not worry about the future.

But yes, you can only handle so much at once. I've learned that too well.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

One day at a time is what grounds me when I start feeling stressed as well, because it's usually because I'm worried over something in the future or something in the past. Being able to live in the present is a gift some happy people have.

Glynis said...

Focus and live one day at a time. This is my new motto.

I wish you well in all you do, my lovely. Deep breath, and move onto happy days x