Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Jessica Bell's new release and Insecure Writer's Support Group - October

 GUESS THE TRUE STATEMENT & WIN JESSICA BELL’S THRILLER, WHITE LADY! 


To celebrate the release of Jessica Bell’s latest novel, WHITE LADY, she is giving away an e-copy (mobi, ePub, or PDF) to the first person to correctly guess the one true statement in the three statements below. To clarify, two statements are lies, and one is true:

Sonia ...
a. and her family only eat with plastic knives to protect themselves.
b. makes sure that all the knifes are facing upwards when she is washing the dishes so that she can “accidentally” hurt herself when she puts them away.
c. makes sure all the knifes are facing downwards in the dish rack so as not to be tempted to use them.

What do you think? Which one is true? Write your guess in the comments, along with your email address. Comments will close in 48 hours. If no-one guesses correctly within in 48 hours, comments will stay open until someone does.

Want more chances to win? You have until October 31 to visit all the blogs where Jessica will share a different set of true and false statements on each one. Remember, each blog is open to comments for 48 hours only from the time of posting.

If you win, you will be notified by email with instructions on how to download the book.

Click HERE to see the list of blogs.

ABOUT THE BOOK:
*This novel contains coarse language, violence, and sexual themes.

​Sonia yearns for sharp objects and blood. But now that she’s rehabilitating herself as a “normal” mother and mathematics teacher, it’s time to stop dreaming about slicing people’s throats.

While being the wife of Melbourne’s leading drug lord and simultaneously dating his best mate is not ideal, she’s determined to make it work.

It does work. Until Mia, her lover’s daughter, starts exchanging saliva with her son, Mick. They plan to commit a crime behind Sonia’s back. It isn’t long before she finds out and gets involved to protect them.

But is protecting the kids really Sonia’s motive?


Click HERE to view the book trailer.
Click HERE for purchase links.

Jessica Bell, a thirty-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, is the Publishing Editor of Vine Leaves Literary Journal and the director of the Homeric Writers’ Retreat & Workshop on the Greek island of Ithaca. She makes a living as a writer/editor for English Language Teaching Publishers worldwide, such as Pearson Education, HarperCollins, MacMillan Education, Education First and Cengage Learning.

Connect with Jessica online:








Yikes - it's October. Where did the summer go? Time is moving so fast. The first Wednesday of the month is Insecure Writer's Support Group day (IWSG), the brainchild of Alex, the Ninja Captain of the blogosphere: http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com
Please check out Alex's blog, if you haven't already, to get the list of awesome members of this supportive group of writers.




I am feeling secure this month. I finished my novel--my first attempt at fiction. It took me five years to write, and I was pretty much kicking and screaming the entire time that I couldn't write fiction. I have to tell the truth here, I needed help with craft technique, and I got it in spades from my writing coach, Mark David Gerson http://www.mdgmedia.com. Without him, I never would have birthed this book. He guided me every step of the way. Many many blessings to you, Mark David. I am so grateful.

My insecurity comes from the next phase of this project--publishing. I have decided that a small press is the best avenue for this novel. One press is reading it now--I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But I am hopeful, even if that doesn't pan out, that I will find a home for this book. And if I don't, I am perfectly willing to self-publish. I'll just need lots and lots of help. And I know I'll find it right here in this loving, supportive, amazing group.

Blessings,
Karen

18 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Thanks so much for having me, Karen. Glad to hear you're feeling secure this month. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats to Jessica.
I think you're more ready and capable than you think.

L.G. Smith said...

Very excited for you, Karen! I hope it isn't your last attempt at fiction either.

And congrats to Jessica. What a story. :)

Karen Walker said...

You're very welcome, Jessica.
Diane, hmmm.
L.G. oy, we'll see...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congrats on finishing that novel. I'm a big fan of small presses.

LD Masterson said...

Isn't kicking and screaming a normal part of writing? Best of luck with that small press.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Jessica!
Hope you get good news from that publisher, Karen.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I think small press is a great avenue for all writers! I really hope you find a home for you're work.

Murees Dupé said...

Congratulations on finishing your book. That is fantastic and I have my fingers crossed that the publisher will love it.

Congratulations to Jessica as well. My guess would be C. mureesdup@gmail.com.

Karen Walker said...

Susan, thanks
LD, Ha, ha, yes, I guess it is
Alex, thanks
S.L. I agree
Murees, thank you.

Bish Denham said...

Congratulations Karen, on finishing you book and that it's already being read by a publisher!
And also Jessica, for getting another one out there, what a busy lady you are!

I'm going to guess to guess A is the true statement.

D.G. Hudson said...

I pick option B. Good Luck Jessica!

Congrats, Karen, on your book as well and good luck with the small presses!

Tammy Theriault said...

keeping fingers crossed!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

First, CONGRATS to Jess! ALL THE BEST!

As for you, my dear, Karen, YAY!!!!! I am so proud of you! Sticking with it for five years and finally finishing!

That is SO WONDERFUL. I wish you EVERY SUCCESS with your new baby. That small publisher is lucky to get the first crack at it!

And yes, you will find help here. Our community is AMAZING!!!!

Robin said...

After all of the angst of birthing this book, it all feels so peaceful here now. I love it.

bn100 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan Flett Swiderski said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Karen! That's really awesome news about your book.

And Jessica's book!It sounds deliciously creepy. I'll guess that they purposely put the knives blades-up in the dishwasher.

Jessica Bell said...

Thanks to all who stopped by for the blog tour! Murees, you got it in one. Congrats! Emailing you now.