Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 20, 2014

Monday Musings: hearts docs and our hearts

Hi everyone,
   I'm back home from my son's wedding. It was so very beautiful. I can't stop looking at the pictures, which I'm sorry to say I can't share because he's a very private person. If you've read my memoir, you know what this event means to me. I have no words.
    When I returned home I had an appointment with another cardiologist for a second opinion. This is the third heart doc I've seen. I am going to stick with this one and on 11/17 have a procedure called an ablation to fix the A-fib and fast heart rate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    But here's what I want to talk about. Three cardiologists--doctors who specialize in fixing our hearts--the home of our emotions. Yet not one of these docs are warm and fuzzy. I find that so incredibly odd. Don't you?
Blessings
Karen




11 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Some doctors really need to work on their bedside manner for sure! I wish you the best of luck on the 17th! Your blogging family is here for you :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the wedding was special.
Yeah, a lot of doctors don't know how to deal with people well. I'm finding younger doctors are better at it. Maybe they've added it to the training.
Will pray for you next month!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! So happy for you and for your son.

I have a family member who works with the medical community and says each specialty has a personality that's separate from the others. What he says about cardiologists is in keeping with your thoughts. :) Will be thinking about you!!

Karen Walker said...

Keith, thank you so much
Alex, I hope they have added it to the training! Thank you for the prayers
Elizabeth that's really interesting. thanks for the kind thoughts

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Maybe all that medical training beats the personality out of them.

I will be thinking about you on the 17th.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Diane

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Karen. Saying prayers for you and your upcoming procedure. So glad the wedding was so beautiful.

Karen Walker said...

Thank you so much, Susanne

Manzanita said...

I'm sure you will tell us about the procedure. I'm curious and I've never heard of it. I wish you well.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - just so glad and happy you were able to go to the wedding and you have your memories and your photos.

Good luck with the heart procedure .. I just don't think they have time for empathising with us ...

All the best - Hilary

Jennifer Chandler said...

Sounds like the wedding was a very special and meaningful experience. So glad you enjoyed it!

I've often wondered how people who are supposed to be trained to help our health and well-being can be so cold and methodical. I understand they have a job to do and I also understand insurance demands they see a certain amount of patients a day...still. If you're treating a person, treat the WHOLE person! Best of luck to you with this doc and for a good report!

~Jen