Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Sometimes I take the easy way out

Yesterday I wrote about how I wasn't lazy, but maybe I am. Because sometimes I take the easy way out. I'll say yes to something right in front of me and maybe that's not the best option, yet it's the easiest because it's right in front of me. If I don't take that option, I have to search further for the right one. I don't think this is related to being older either. I think this thing about wanting things to be easy has been with me for a long time. When the going gets tough, I want to stop going. But I don't stop, even if I want to. When I went back to college in my 50s to get my four-year degree, I wanted to quit every damned day. I didn't. Instead, I graduated Summa Cum Laude. I'm not saying that to brag, because I still don't quite believe it myself that I did so well.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if I want to take the easy way out with publishing my book, there is no such thing. There is hard work in writing a query, a synopsis, researching appropriate small publishers, mailing the packets, following up, etc. If I choose to avoid that and self-publish, there is hard work in finding an illustrator, getting help with formatting and distribution, etc. I cannot avoid the hard work, no matter which route I take. So I must take my time figuring out what is the right choice for this story. And just bite the freakin' bullet and do it.

Blessings,
karen

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Either direction you go will be work. Unless you do nothing at all, but then, you've already done half of it in writing the book. Why stop now?

Karen Walker said...

Alex, I won't stop - just on this journey of discovering how to proceed. and sharing that journey.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

You are correct, either way is hard work and nerve-racking. Keep going!

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, I can't see you stopping now. You've come too far and while there's no easy way from here - there's no turning back. You can do it!

L.G. Smith said...

Yep. I'm feeling the same way. It's so HARD every damn day. But I don't want to go backwards or give up, so I keep plodding forward on this journey. Good luck to you, Karen. Something will click soon. :)

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Keep on keeping on! If you're half way through you're on the home run!Good luck anyway!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You've come way too far to stop now :) we support you!!

Arlee Bird said...

You and I seem to have very similar values and approaches to the things in life. What you describe sounds much like the way I'd be dealing with the publishing challenge if I were dealing with it.

I guess a lot of it depends on how important or big a dream is. You'll persist.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Jemi Fraser said...

Yes - definitely hard work either way! But lots of fun too :)

Chrys Fey said...

There really is no easy way to publish a book. It's all hard, but it's all worth it. Keep on going, Karen! :D

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I take the quickest and easiest route if it's practical to do so .. and usually cut corners. Make life simple for myself ..

I too studied for four years after work - just about finished me off .. but I too passed (not cum laude!!!) ... passing was sufficient ... never used the qualification since. But it was a good exercise and again I learnt a lot ...

Just do what you want to do and what you need to do ... take care - cheers Hilary

Jack said...

With the things we really want to do and love we can never take the easy way out. I've tried that too. It never works, even though it is hard learning the best way to do things.

Gina Gao said...

Keep it up!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com