Welcome to Following the Whispers blog
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.
“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf
“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
Monday, November 24, 2014
I don't have full strength, no where near it, but I can feel my body coming back to itself. I am beginning to think about my book again and am very eager to begin the process of publishing--whatever that will turn out to be.
In the meantime, I am convinced now, more than ever, that one of life's biggest lessons is to be present each and every moment and live life as fully as possible in each of those moments. It's all we have--all we can count on.
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
I am home from the hospital. The ablation procedure went well, according to the cardiologist. We won't know for awhile whether it works in terms of keeping me out of a-fib, but I am hopeful. I am not feeling as bad as they told me I would. I have no pain and no pain meds--just some discomfort in my chest and groin (where the catheters were inserted).
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers and kind words. I feel very loved and very blessed.
Monday, November 10, 2014
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
After my heart procedure on 11/17, I am going to hit the deck running to get my novel published. I really wish I could hire someone to do this for me. I just don't want to spend money that way. I'd rather spend it on editing services and illustration, if I have to self-publish. I've already spent quite a bit on editing and it was worth every cent. So I just have to suck it up and do it. One step at a time. First, write the query. Then the synopsis. Then pick sample chapters. How do you do that, by the way? Do you do the first two or three?
I hated writing papers in school and that is what this feels like. Someone suggested I don't judge the process. Assume it will be all right with some aspects being more fun than others. I worked too hard on this book to not give it my best to get it out in the world. Hopefully, my energy will return after I recover from the ablation. Then I will do just that--give it my best shot.
How about you?
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
It works in 80% of the people. The other 20% have some other contributing factors going on and more procedures must be done to fix those. I am praying I am in the 80%. The medicine I am on also had an 80% success rate and it hasn't worked, so it's hard for me to have a positive attitude. Instead, I am working on having no expectations - just putting one foot in front of the other, trying to get back to normal with my heart. The good news is I am not depressed. I am just nervous, as anyone would be facing an invasive procedure like this.
Do you believe in having a positive attitude and than possibly facing disappointment? Or having a negative attitude and than being surprised by a positive result? Or do you, like me, try to have no expectations and maintain an even keel?
Monday, November 3, 2014
Now, at 65, it is more challenging to face new beginnings. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't have them. Here is my new beginning for this Fall: After my heart procedure on 11/17, I am going to begin researching small presses to publish my novel. That means I must write a query letter, synopsis, and select sample chapters. I must also begin a chart to track where and when I send a package out. I am
going to be gentle with myself with this process. I am going to set a time limit of say six months. If I am not successful by then, I will self-publish.
What does Fall mean for you?