Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Insecure Writers Support Group - November

Thanks once again to Alex at alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating the Insecure Writers Support Group. To find the list of members, check out Alex's blog. We are a group of writers to gather together on the first Wednesday of the month to share our thoughts and feelings and progress in our writing journey.






After my heart procedure on 11/17, I am going to hit the deck running to get my novel published. I really wish I could hire someone to do this for me. I just don't want to spend money that way. I'd rather spend it on editing services and illustration, if I have to self-publish. I've already spent quite a bit on editing and it was worth every cent. So I just have to suck it up and do it. One step at a time. First, write the query. Then the synopsis. Then pick sample chapters. How do you do that, by the way? Do you do the first two or three?

I hated writing papers in school and that is what this feels like. Someone suggested I don't judge the process. Assume it will be all right with some aspects being more fun than others. I worked too hard on this book to not give it my best to get it out in the world. Hopefully, my energy will return after I recover from the ablation. Then I will do just that--give it my best shot.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

Good luck with your procedure, and with the submissions. Sample chapters are usually the first ones - as many as the agent/publisher request in their guidelines. Don't take random ones from the middle!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Most submission guidelines will state which chapters they want. Usually it's the first ones.

Good luck on the 17th.

Karen Walker said...

Annalisa, thanks, that's helpful.
Diane, thank you for your support.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Good luck with your procedure. Every publishing professional I've worked with wants the first pages, usually up to 50 or 3 chapters.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You worked to hard to shortchange it. After the procedure you will have time to query it right.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Heart surgery is a lot to deal with! Be sure to take enough time to take care of yourself and don't worry too much about the novel at this point.

Robin said...

I think it is one step at a time (in all things, really). Do what you can before the procedure. Do the rest after. Accept that some parts will come easier than others, but it will get done! Sending prayers your way for the ablation!

Feather Stone said...

Yep, writing the story is the fun part, even easy in comparison to writing the query and synopsis. Then comes the marketing. Yucko! But then, it these steps that separate the authors from the wannabe authors. Persevere, my friend. You'll get there.

Chrys Fey said...

I am praying that your heart procedure goes well. As to the sample chapters, usually they include what they want to receive in the submission guidelines on their website. You can expect to send the first 1-5 chapters.

LD Masterson said...

Focus on you first. Once that procedure is out of the way, the rest will start falling into place.

Karen Walker said...

Robin, thanks, but no way I can focus on that stuff right now. And yes, it's one step at a time.
Feather Stone, thank you
Chrys, thanks for the prayers
LD, thanks, good advice

Julie Musil said...

Oh, Karen, I wish you much luck on your procedure! And you know what? Maybe while you're in recovery mode, those chapters and anything else that's worrying you will come to you. You know how that works! When we least expect it...bam...ideas!

Holly Vance said...

For me, the synopsis and query were a bear to write; I'd rather write another novel and I would absolutely love to pay someone else to write the bloody things, but that just wasn't an option. My writer's group was very helpful and I did consult an online editor (for about $50 a "session") but I found her very helpful. I wish you luck!

Liz Fichera said...

Best of luck your medical procedure, Karen! That's the important stuff.

Regarding the process, I find it's best to work on each one (and concentrate on each one) at a time. When you look at the whole process as one step, it can be overwhelming.

Karen Walker said...

Julie, I hope that happens - thanks
Holly, so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about writing "those bloody things."
Liz, that's good advice - thanks

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wishing you the best of luck with your procedure my friend! Have a wonderful weekend!!