Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday Musings: Fall/New Beginnings

This past weekend the clocks moved back an hour, signaling Fall. The turning of the leaves always marks the beginning of Fall for me, though. This year, they turned quite late here in New Mexico, since the temperature reached the 70s by the afternoon. September is Rosh Hoshana, the Jewish New Year. It is also when the school year begin back East, where I grew up. I loved preparing for the new school semester: buying new pencils, notebooks, pens, all the new textbooks, new teachers, new friends.

Now, at 65, it is more challenging to face new beginnings. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't have them. Here is my new beginning for this Fall: After my heart procedure on 11/17, I am going to begin researching small presses to publish my novel. That means I must write a query letter, synopsis, and select sample chapters. I must also begin a chart to track where and when I send a package out. I am
going to be gentle with myself with this process. I am going to set a time limit of say six months. If I am not successful by then, I will self-publish.

What does Fall mean for you?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Take your time with it and don't kill yourself trying to get it done before your procedure.

Rachna Chhabria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Karen, take it easy before your heart procedure and also after the procedure. Don't stress about anything. Sending healing energy your way. Hugs.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, I am not doing anything about this until after my procure. Thanks
Rachna, I will, and thanks for the healing energy.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - relax and ease up ... after the 17th and recovery ... I'm certain you'll feel easier ... Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wait until afterwards. Smart idea. There will be time over the holidays to research.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, yup, that's the plan.
Alex, you are right!

Manzanita said...

Good luck on finding a publisher. I would think that is frustrating.

Arlee Bird said...

Everyday is a new beginning for me with more behind me in my past. One day at a time is about all any of us can do.

I think you've set a reasonable goal for your book. Just keep at it.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Diane has a good point...take it slow and keep your recovery time relaxing. I think a deadline is a great idea, though.

Fall means...busy...to me! Hope it will slow down soon.

Lynn said...

Fall is absolutely my favourite season too. And we have had an exceptionally warm one here in Alberta! I believe following your whispers, your intuition will let you know when to push forward and when to rest. I have a feeling all will come in its' perfect timing for you.