Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 24, 2014

Monday Musings: recovering

Each day gets a little easier. The whole process wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's really hard to wrap my mind around the fact that one minute I had a heart condition, then several hours later, my heart is, God-willing, fixed. I have been surrounded by loving friends and family--and feel so blessed.

I don't have full strength, no where near it, but I can feel my body coming back to itself. I am beginning to think about my book again and am very eager to begin the process of publishing--whatever that will turn out to be.

In the meantime, I am convinced now, more than ever, that one of life's biggest lessons is to be present each and every moment and live life as fully as possible in each of those moments. It's all we have--all we can count on.

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Karen, I'm so glad that everything went even better than you expected. Hope you gain your strength back more each day and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder to be mindful of each moment.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful you came through it and are gaining your strength.

Today is the How I Miss You blogfest and you were one I said I would miss.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Karen I am glad you posted this. I have been thinking of you! I am sending you thoughts and wishes for a full and speedy recovery :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm praying that your heart is fixed and you can dive back into finding a home for your story.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, thank you so much. I think it is so important to remember this and not get caught up in busyness.
Diane, I am so touched by that. Thank you.
Keith, I am thinking of you and your upcoming wedding and how happy I am for you.
Alex, your prayers mean a lot to me. Thank you.

L.G. Smith said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend and feeling better. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Karen (though I hope someone else is doing the cooking). :)

Liz Fichera said...

So glad to hear that you're feeling better, Karen. Take care of yourself.

And hope you enjoy a Happy Thanksgiving! xo

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that's great you're feeling easier and recovering more and more - we are so lucky to live in this day and age ..

Take care and all will be well - just takes time .. so pleased family and friends were with you ... Have a lovely Thanksgiving and thanks so much for your comment - really appreciate it!! .. Hilary

Suze said...

I'm so glad you've been surrounded by friends and family, Karen. Vital at a time like this so your recovery is complete. Sending love and prayers from far away!

Julie Flanders said...

So glad you recovering and doing well, Karen. Take care and have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Murees Dupé said...

I am so happy that you're feeling better. You'r words are so true. We should make the best of everyday. Please take good care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Karen Walker said...

L.G., LOL, yes, someone else is cooking. It's actually a potluck Thanksgiving. We're bringing pies (hubby is making them, of course).
Liz, thanks
Hilary, you're welcome!
Suze, much appreciated from far away
Julie, thanks, you, too
Murees, thank you so much for the kind thoughts.

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, so glad to hear things are going well for you. Your life lesson is truly inspiring. We only have those moments and we often forgot that. Wishing you continued speedy recovery and a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Jemi Fraser said...

So glad to hear you're recovering well! Any procedure is scary and I think we often think worst-case scenarios! Being truly present in the moment is so important - take care of yourself!

Lynn said...

Happy to read you are getting stronger every day. Yes, we are to live each day in the present to the fullest. I can struggle with fear of the future. Thank you for the reminder to stay in today, not tomorrow.