Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: I'm scared

I am having a procedure called an ablation. Under general anesthesia, they insert a catheter up through the groin into the left atrium and cauterize to create scarring so that when the pulmonary vein misfires, triggering a-fib, it can't penetrate the scar so the heart rhythm is unaffected by the misfires.
It works in 80% of the people. The other 20% have some other contributing factors going on and more procedures must be done to fix those. I am praying I am in the 80%. The medicine I am on also had an 80% success rate and it hasn't worked, so it's hard for me to have a positive attitude. Instead, I am working on having no expectations - just putting one foot in front of the other, trying to get back to normal with my heart. The good news is I am not depressed. I am just nervous, as anyone would be facing an invasive procedure like this.

Do you believe in having a positive attitude and than possibly facing disappointment? Or having a negative attitude and than being surprised by a positive result? Or do you, like me, try to have no expectations and maintain an even keel?

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm probably more even keel although I try to be positive. Some things, I just have to trust in God.
You'll be in that eighty percent!

L.G. Smith said...

Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst is usually a safe attitude. But you are going to be fine, Karen! In fact, better than ever when they're done. ((hugs))

D.G. Hudson said...

I hope for the best, but try to be realistic so I'm prepared. I think picking up the positive thread does help us and sometimes it feels as if it influences the outcome. . .

I'm interested in all heart procedures since hubs had his heart attack a few months ago. This too will pass as all things do, so one step at a time is a good way to walk through it.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, thank you for your support
L.G., hugs back - thanks
DG, hope your hubby is ok now

Manzanita said...

We all have to follow our own belief system but when we are scared, I tend to think there might be a lack of trust.
Mostly, when a heart (or my heart, for example) won't hold a normal heartbeat, it's due to an allergy or my electrolytes are off, mainly potassium. I keep potassium in a sugar bowl and just sprinkle a little on my food when I feel I need it. The heart won't run without fuel, like any other machine and if you are eating food you are allergic to, you will have side effects and there won't be enough fuel to run the heart.
Karen, you know I'm not a doctor, nor am I trying to give any advice. I've just had years and years and years of treating my body naturally and listening to those who practice natural medicine.

Karen Walker said...

Manzanita, I have been working with a natural medicine practitioner since this issue began. I appreciate your comments here but my body is telling me it needs this procedure AND I will keep working on the energetic and allergens, etc.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Best of luck with the procedure, Karen. I'm sure it will be fine but I understand your nervousness. Which one of us is ever NOT scared having invasive procedures!!You'll be loads better for having it I'm sure. Best wishes!

Carol Kilgore said...

I hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Sending good positive thoughts and prayers for you. Hugs!

Denise Covey said...

Definitely the positive attitude. They say it makes all the difference in cancer survival, why not in your case? Let's hope you're in that 80%. Looking forward to your post when you say all's well.:)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - always positive ... worrying is a waste of time and it doesn't help your health. Trust the docs - all will be well .. cheers Hilary

Suze said...

What would happen if you backed away from the meds and procedures for a time? What does your husband say about the possibility?