Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - December

Can you believe it's this time of month again. Seems like yesterday it was November. Please visit Alex J. Cavanaughhttp://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com to find out all the details about this wonderfully supportive group.







I haven't felt insecure in a long time. Frankly, that is a miracle. I have confidence in my manuscript. I don't have confidence in my ability to find a publisher. Maybe I am remembering the pain of the last time I went through this process with my memoir. For 1 1/2 years, I sent queries to agents and didn't succeed in finding one. I didn't know about small presses at that time, so that was the end of my attempt to traditionally publish.

This time I have a plan. I will submit to small presses for some months, not sure how many. I will know when the time is right to let that idea go and self-publish. The book doesn't easily fit into a specific genre so it won't necessarily be easy for it to find a home. But find a home it will. I am nothing if not tenacious.

It's a new feeling to believe in something I've created this much. My low self-esteem has kept me from being able to acknowledge accomplishments. I am going to take Tom Clancy's quote to heart:

“Success is a finished book, a stack of pages each of which is filled with words. If you reach that point, you have won a victory over yourself no less impressive than sailing single-handed around the world.
- Tom Clancy

How about you?
Blessings
Karen

25 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I tend to submit to small presses - I just don't think my work would be suitable for large publishers. Good luck with it.

However, 1.5 years isn't that long - look at some of the stories of really well-known writers and their initial struggles. It'll make you feel better!

Karen Walker said...

Annalisa, I know...but at 65, I don't have years to spend waiting.

Stephanie Faris said...

Sounds crazy, but I found that the best way to query was just be fearless...and work on something else. At one time, I had four different manuscripts making the rounds. I even had an Excel spreadsheet to track them all. It didn't hurt so much when I was rejected because I had so many other possibilities going on at the same time.

Karen Walker said...

Actually, Stephanie, that doesn't sound crazy at all. It sounds smart

Bish Denham said...

You go girl! That Tom Clancy quote is right on! I'm going to copy it a put it on my computer to remind me of what I'm doing/accomplishing.

Thanks.

cleemckenzie said...

Having a plan is a huge first step! Good luck.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a big believer in small presses. Hope your manuscript finds a home.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I know how that is. I queried two novels before i landed an agent and a book deal with the third. It's hard to set those first ones aside, but totally worth it. And it's awesome when you feel confident about the new book.
Super good luck!

Loni Townsend said...

Best of luck on finding a home for your work. I wish you much success. Your tenacity will see you through. :)

Chrys Fey said...

Yay for not being insecure! Having a plan is always a good idea, too. I'm published by a small press and love it! Sometimes they really are the way to go. Good luck!

Emily R. King said...

It's easy to feel down about putting your work out there. Sometimes it's feels like the rejections are rolling in without even sending out your work! Hang in there and keep going. Sounds like you have a good plan.

I'm a new follower!

Stephen Tremp said...

Hello Karen, long time no see. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

And good luck with your publishing plan. I'm following a similar process with my MS.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There are over 100,000 small presses out there. You will find one.

M Pax said...

Yay for your confidence. I'll cheer you along!

I plan to submit my new series (when I write it) to a small publisher.

Sarah Foster said...

It's great that you're so confident in your manuscript. Just let that keep driving you.

Feather Stone said...

I was determined to get published via a traditional publisher; I figure I was successful once, I can do it again. I completely discounted self-publishing until I read, "Smashwords Style Guide." at: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52 It's free and I'm wondering why go traditional. If I know my manuscript is well written and professional edited, why not self-publish?

Karen Walker said...

Thanks everyone for the cheers and support. I appreciate all of you so much.

Lynda R Young said...

The best of luck finding the right home for your book.

LD Masterson said...

I like Clancy's quote. Good luck with your plan. Just keep moving forward.

Nick Wilford said...

I'm so glad you're able to appreciate what you've done, because that's not always easy. Believing in yourself is half the battle.

Good luck with finding the right home for your book!

Hart Johnson said...

Best of luck with finding a publisher! It sounds like a good plan, though PLEASE do your due diligence with small publishers. Many are great, but there are a ton right now that are just trying to take advantage, so pick one with a proven track record. Maybe look into Celery Tree--they do 'hard to genre' and Karen is someone I trust.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm sure you will find the right home for your manuscript! I was reading Hart's comment above and had to smile at the Celery Tree reference. Such a cool name, but it's been bought out by WiDo-- did you ever submit it to WiDo? And to second Hart's suggestion, be careful out there because some of them are just glossed over vanity presses that will charge authors for "services".

Tammy Theriault said...

small presses are the way to go sometimes!!

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Karen, I didn't know about Celery Tree. I haven't submitted to WiDo yet, but will.
Hart, Thank you so much.
Tammy, thanks
Nick, thank you so much
LD, Clancy's quote lifts my sports
Lynda, thanks

Suzanne Furness said...

Positivity and determination are the answer to success. Submit to those small presses and go for it. Love that Tom Clancy quote. I wish you all the very best for 2015, Karen.