Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday Musings: First steps

Last Wednesday I turned a corner. I had energy for the first time in months. The first thing I did was call a friend who is a brilliant researcher and asked her to a) read my manuscript and then b) compile a list of publishers to submit to. Yeah for baby steps. I could do this myself, but I hate doing that kind of thing and she loves it. Plus, she could use the financial help. So it's such a win-win. Don't you love win-wins? I sure do.

Next step is to write a query and synopsis. OY! I don't enjoy that either, but I will bite the bullet and do it anyway. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice on doing this well? Any examples of successful queries/synopses? Anyone want to volunteer to do this for me? Only kidding!!

Well, off to begin this next phase of my journey. See ya tomorrow.
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

That sounds like a win-win to me! And so glad to hear about the energy. The best part of this, to me, is that you realized a step of the process that had the potential for holding you back...and found a viable workaround.

As for query help, I think this post from Jane Friedman is helpful: http://janefriedman.com/2014/04/11/query-letters/ . Glad you're so much better!

Murees Dupé said...

Win-wins are great. I hope you make tons of progress. Have a wonderful week.

Manzanita said...

I'm happy for you Karen..... to have a new burst of energy and feeling like "moving forward."

Win-win-win....(I added one more) LOL

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's so wonderful to hear that you have energy. I've outsourced research before. Brilliant idea.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, thanks, I'll check that out right away.
Murees, thanks so much
Manzanita, sure, another win is great!
Diane, thanks - I feel like "me" again.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome! Turning the corner and taking the next step.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Alex.

Bish Denham said...

YEAH! I know it's been a long journey for you. And look, the finish line is in sight!

For doing a synopsis look at each chapter as a single story and try to distill it down to a few sentences a mini beginning, middle and end. Always tell the ending of your book.

Wishing you the best.

Mason Canyon said...

Win-wins are a wonderful thing. So glad you're having more energy and it sounds like you're on a good path to getting your book published. Yeah!!

Karen Walker said...

Bish, that's helpful. Thanks.
Mason, thanks, keeping fingers crossed.

Robin said...

I am dog-tired or I would provide you a link, but do you follow Matthew MacNish's site? He devotes a lot of time to helping writers perfect their query. If you don't follow him, I have Unicorn Bell listed in my sidebar. I know that they have a link to his site on that site. Yikes. Sorry to run you around the bushes!!!

Best of luck with the query and synopsis.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - glad you are really feeling better and are more motivated to press on - sounds like the choices you've got going will work for you .. and I see you've got a couple of places/posts to check out re querying ...

So pleased .. cheers Hilary

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Hi Karen!!! So glad that you are feeling better, my friend!! My thoughts are with you every day!

Susanne Drazic said...

Best of wishes with the query and synopsis. : )