Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 8, 2014

Monday Musings: first test of my heart

It's been two weeks since I had the last a-fib episode. I've been so afraid to do anything to raise my heart rate because before I had the ablation procedure, once the heart rate soared, it stayed that way for hours and I felt terrible. But Friday night I went to hear one of my favorite musicians. He plays lots of oldies, swing tunes, salsas, etc. One song came on and I got up to dance without thinking about my heart at all. It was so much fun. My heart rate soared--stayed up for a few minutes after I sat down, and then came back to normal. Maybe, just maybe, I can be cautiously optimistic and say the procedure worked. Docs said we wouldn't know for 3 months. Still have fingers and toes crossed.

I feel so supported by this blogging community. Thank you all for the prayers and kind words during these last few months.

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful, Karen! Take it as a good sign.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome! Will continue to pray. Full recovery for you.

L.G. Smith said...

Cautiously optimistic sounds promising! Always knew dancing was good for the heart (and soul). :)

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Diane, I will
Alex, your prayers mean a lot - thank you.
L.G. It sure is.

Karen Walker said...

HELP! All of a sudden the please prove you're not a robot appeared here in my comments. How do I remove it? I've searched settings and can't find it. Oy!

Bish Denham said...

That's wonderful news. Maybe too, because you were doing something you enjoyed and wanted to do your heart said, "I got this covered!"

Manzanita said...

Yay Karen,
I'd say dancing is a good test. Soon you'll be bouncing all over the place. Peole will say, "Who is that bouncing lady?" LOL

Robin said...

How wonderful that you didn't even think about it before... you might have talked yourself out of it! I think you can be optimistic that it worked, because dancing is hard work!!!

Suze said...

'One song came on and I got up to dance without thinking about my heart at all. It was so much fun.'

:)

Julie Flanders said...

Made me smile to think of you getting up and dancing and having fun without worrying. That seems like it was a great test.

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay!!! Sounds like you're well on your way to healing - the best news!!

Every Blogger blog I've encountered today has the prove you're not a robot thing. Hmm. I'll have to check my own. Sounds like Blogger has been playing with settings!

Susanne Drazic said...

Karen, visit this link http://desertcanyonliving.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/notes-from-canyon.html
and see the comment that Roland D. Yeomans left. It helped me with the "prove you are not a robot" problem. Hope it helps you.

I hope you are able to continue dancing without the worries. : )