Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: maybe it's the holidays

Do you find it hard to focus on anything but the holidays during the holidays? I'm finding it extremely difficult to concentrate on my writing, or anything other serious thought for that matter. Maybe it was overly ambitious of me to think I could draft my query and synopsis during this time, because clearly it is not going to happen. So, instead, I will focus on the beautiful music, the dazzling lights, the spiritual messages of this special season, and spend time with friends and family. The truth is, anything that relieves stress these days is a good thing--and instead of stressing over holiday stuff, I am going to dive in and enjoy. Wishing you the same....
Blessings
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good plan! I know I'd rather think about the holidays.

Robin said...

There has been so much going on that I'm not getting anything done regarding my WiP. It's frustrating, but I guess normal. Enjoy the Joy!

Chrys Fey said...

It's always hard for me to stay focused during the holidays, so I like your plan. Enjoy it! You can start doing all the writing things you need to do in the new year. :)

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, I like your plan. It is a stressful time and just being able to relax and enjoy the moment is sometimes hard. I think I'll give your plan a try. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I'd love to get off the bandwagon and just melt into the Christmas spirit and enjoy all the music, lights, services etc ...

Cheers enjoy everything .. cheers Hlary

Karen Walker said...

Yeah, Alex, let's do it!
Robin, go for it! Just enjoy.
Chrys, you, too.
Mason, oh goodie, have fun!
Hilary, cheers!

Manzanita said...

People do seem to get caught up on appearances during the holidays. Just enjoy.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I usually do, but not this year. Maybe it's because I've had such a rough couple of years and things are finally at a point where they can't get much worse and we're starting to take back control, but I'm actually having a hard time restraining myself from diving into new projects that really should wait until the new year.

Karen Walker said...

Manzanita, you, too!
Paul, I am so sorry for your troubles. I do hope the new year brings blessings and relief from your pain.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm toning down my writing goals and jumping into the holidays, too! Sometimes you can't beat 'em and have to join 'em.... :)

Glad you're doing well and reducing stress!

M Pax said...

We don't have kids anymore, so our holidays are pretty stress free. It's awesome not to get caught up in all the frenzy. I actually get more writing done during the holidays, because the internet is quiet.

LD Masterson said...

I was going to work on my query and synopsis this month, too. So far I've cut down and decorated a tree, put up the outside lights and other decorations, given birth to a Christmas letter, addressed and mailed cards, attended two holiday school concerts (two more to go), made several batches of fudge, and completed about half of my gift shopping. Oh well...it's Christmas. Hope yours is wonderful.