Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday Musings: reflections on 2014

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I'm looking forward to re-connecting with the blogging world. My holidays were a mixture of joy and sadness. For those of you who read my memoir, you might remember that I moved to New Mexico not knowing a soul, not having a job or a home. A then 72-year-old woman named Mary Alice opened her home and her heart to me and allowed me to live with her until I figured out whether I wanted to stay. If it weren't for her, I'd never have met Gary, nor would I have the amazing circle of friends I have now. She passed away on Sunday, December 28. She was 93. I know she is at peace where she is now and I am fine with that. It's just that I will miss her.

My heart is doing much better than before the ablation procedure, but it's not 100%. Won't know for another six weeks whether the procedure worked perfectly or not, but I have much more energy and feel so much better.

My son got married in October and I am still over the moon about that.

I thought I was finished with my novel and ready to publish, but I'm not. A very trusted reader (the person I hired to do the research of finding a small publisher) read the book and shared that Part III did not resonate with her, that it felt like a different story. Well, here's the truth. When I was writing it, I thought that a story I had written in one of the fiction classes I took when I went back to college would work for this story. All during the editing process, this part was problematic, but it didn't dawn on me why, until Terry said what she said. It didn't work because it didn't come organically like the rest of the story did. Sigh! I am actually looking forward to seeing how the story will evolve now that I know what's wrong.

Guess that's enough reflecting for one blog post. What are your reflections of 2014?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Karen. It sounds like she was a wonderful person.

Glad to hear you've got so much more energy! That's fantastic.

And it sounds like you've got a gem of a beta reader. Best wishes for your new part 3 (and the exciting directions it might take!)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend. She changed your life forever.

Now that you know what went wrong, you can fix it. That doesn't make it easier, I know.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sorry your friend passed. Prayers for her family.
Sometimes we have to suck it up and listen when someone points out an issue with our work.

Julie Flanders said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, Karen. It sounds like she was a really amazing person.
So glad though that you're feeling better. Best of luck with the book revisions.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, she is a gem of a beta reader!
Diane, you're right, it doesn't.
Alex, yup, sucking it up is what I needed to do.

L.G. Smith said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. But glad you're primed for the new year and getting great feedback. Stories are ever evolving. I don't think they are ever truly finished until they're sealed in ink between the covers. :)

Chrys Fey said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Karen. Having someone who can read your manuscripts and point out the things that are wrong is so important! It can be a headache, but our work will always be better for it. :)

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

2014 was a hard year for so many people. Here's hoping for a better 2015.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

You really went through a lot in 2014, Karen. I hope the new year brings you health, happiness and productivity.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - sorry about Mary Alice .. sounds like she was an amazing woman. I'm so pleased your son got married - no wonder your heart can sing a little ... and that third chapter will come out now .. good luck in 2015 - cheers Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

With the bad comes the good and such is life. I guess life would be uneventful if it weren't so.

I think you'll be pleased with the heart procedure. I've been much better since having mine done over ten years ago.

Lee
Tossing It Out