Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: More reflections on 2014

I received orders from my cardiologist to start exercising again. I must work my heart. I've been afraid because it was doing it's own aerobic dance and if I made it aerobic, it stayed there for hours and I felt terrible. Now I must begin to work my way back to physical fitness. I HATE TO EXERCISE. Did you get my energy around this issue? But I love to dance. So I've pulled out all my old Richard Simmons "Sweatin' to the Oldies" aerobics DVD's and will do one a day. That's the goal anyway. I think I'll have to work up to that, though. Wish me luck!

Sugartime, my singing duo, had a great year and I'm excited to get back into the swing of things this month with four gigs. I am so fortunate to have a way to do something I love doing and bring joy and smiles and happy memories to others while doing it.

I want to "Do" less and "Be" more in 2015. I believe we are all Body/Mind/Spirit. For most of my life I worked on my mind. Now I must focus more on the physical and spiritual aspects of myself. And to do that I must be fully present in my body.

Please share your thoughts and feelings about this past year and what you hope for in this one.
Blessings,
Karen

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That sounds like a great way to combine exercise and dancing. Funny how as a kid it's just playing but as an adult it becomes exercise.
Last year was good, with some high points and low points.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, you're right. Kids are just active. Glad you had a good year, for the most part.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen ... sadly we need to keep all our muscles exercising and I must get mine going a.s.a.p. The dancing and singing with Sugartime will help .. while that little extra here and there - all adds up ... good for you ...

2015 will bring some changes ... but will be good I believe .. cheers and good luck for your year ahead .. cheers Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

I don't like exercise per se, but I love to walk and accept the activity of work around the house. Sing, sing, sing! It's great to be doing what you love to do.

2014 was a typical year for me for the most part. Atypical was being able to spend a month with my mother during the summer and then losing her in November, but that's why I took the time in the summer to spend time with her. It's weird not having her there to call to ask her about things or just catch up with life back in Tennessee. But life goes on doesn't it, whether we're moving with it or not.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Robin said...

I don't much like exercise, either, but I love to dance. Isn't it wonderful that dancing is a great cardio workout????

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, thanks for the cheers!
Lee, it's so hard to lose a parent - and yes, life does go on...
Robin, yes!