Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: my new motto

I have enough time to do what needs to be done. What needs to be done might not be what I think needs to be done. I must trust my process.

I am always in a hurry. I have always been in a hurry. My mother told me I was in a hurry to be born, coming quickly an easily. I am compulsively early to appointments. I am one of the world's most impatient people. I hate waiting. I even hate when I get the impulse to go to the bathroom--I don't want to miss anything.

I thought this was simply a character flaw. Well, it might be. But it also wreaks havoc with my body, particularly my digestive and nervous systems. I am in a constant state of worry and anxiety about time.

Hence, my new motto. When I catch myself in "hurry" mode, which is pretty frequently, I am learning to stop, breathe, and tell myself there is enough time. Even to finish my novel, despite the fact I am turning 66 this year.

Do you rush around frantically, worried there isn't enough time?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Good of you to catch yourself from now on when you get in worry mode - it will make for much less stress! I always love your introspection.

Karen Walker said...

Me too yours, Keith!

Carole Anne Carr said...

I have lists, lists that pop up on the computer, lists on iphone, ipad, desktop. Lists in books with blank pages, but they are all separated into those to be done todsy, those that will keep for a day or two, those that are long term. Ok, it takes time to set this up, I have a pin board on the wall behind my desk too. If you get the 'worries' out of your head and onto paper in any format, immediately as they occur, it all becomes bearable. Not my idea, taken from a best selling book - good luck with whatever format you select, Karen :0)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I find I can wait for things better now than when I was younger. Still occasionally an impatient driver, but I'm better. Early for appointments? I'll always do that. That's just common courtesy.

Fundy Blue said...

This struck home, Karen ~ Both the part about speaking your truth and about hurrying. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night because I feel like I'm running out of time and won't get my book done before I die! I'm trying to remember to stop and breathe in and out a few times a day and check in on how my body is feeling, since I can blow through almost any distress signal. I'm turning 65 this year. I'll now add reminding myself there is enough time. Good luck, Karen! I'll think of you!

Murees Dupé said...

I always worry and I'm in a hurry to get things over and done with, mostly because I'm afraid time might pass me by and I don't get to accomplish all I had set out to. The breathing idea definitely sounds like a plan.

Karen Walker said...

Carole Anne, oh my goodness, that sounds exhausting. You must be sooo organized
Alex, I have to work hard at being patient while driving
Fundy Blue, sigh, I'll think of you, too!
Murees, good luck - for me, it takes constant attention.

Arlee Bird said...

I kind of the opposite most of the time. I'm usually patient and I'm much too slow getting things done and often don't get around to doing some of them. However, I'm a stickler about being on time. I hate to be late anywhere. I get antsy when my wife is taking her good old time and I'm ready to roll.

Lee
Tossing It Out

LD Masterson said...

Hey, I'm turning 66 this year, too. We'll work on throttling back together.

Robin said...

Not really. I don't think this is my issue. I have plenty of issues, but not this one.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, though. Just stopping and slowing down when you realize you're in "hurry" mode.