Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group - February

First of all, I can't believe it's February, 2015. Time is just flying by. But because it is the first Wednesday in February, it is time for the monthly Insecure Writer's Support Group post, created by our intrepid Alex www.http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. To find out more and to meet Alex, if you have been living on some other planet and don't already know him, check out the link.





I am jazzed about re-discovering a project I began 4 years ago. I am not ready to talk about it just yet but when I reread what I had done, I thought--damn - this could be really good! There, I am not feeling insecure about this one at all.

Now, my novel. That's a different story. I am re-writing the entire third part of the book. I haven't had much time over the last month because of my friend's death and being executor, yada yada yada. But that's not the whole reason. It's because it's hard. And I have to really take myself to a meditative, deep place to allow the real story to come through. And, although I know I will do this, it's hard to make myself do it.  And there's always that niggling voice that doubts.

So, wish me luck, just as I wish all of you luck with your writing insecurities.
Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Great news about your rediscovery of an older project! Excited for you. And we all have doubts about our projects...I know this book is going to be great.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Hi Karen!! So awesome to hear about your rediscovery of this project. I'm excited to learn more :)

Nick Wilford said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. That'll put a crimp on your writing but it sounds like you're moving forward. Rediscovering an old project is exciting... and I hope you get things together for your rewrite. I still haven't started the last third of my trilogy, but I know I'll have to get my head down soon.

Murees Dupé said...

Wishing you plenty of luck and I'm sending good vibes your way. You can do it!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks so much, Elizabeth
Keith I'll share soon.
Nick, Thank you. You'll do it - I know you will!
Murees, thanks for the good vibes!

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
Good luck with revisions! They're always hard, but they're worth it. :)

Bish Denham said...

Good luck with both projects. I know I've gone back and read things I wrote years and years ago and I think, "Wow! I wrote that? This is good." It means there's hope! Hope for all of us.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now that you're through the worst, take yourself to that place. It is hard, but once you begin, it will get easier.

Karen Walker said...

Rachel, thank you very much
Bish, yeah, that's a good feeling, isn't it?
Alex, yup, that's the plan.

Crystal Collier said...

Best of luck! (With a side of cheese.) I've decided to embrace the advice I received years ago: "Give yourself permission to write crap." Yup. First draft is always like that, so as long as we acknowledge that will be the case, powering through won't be nearly as discouraging. =)

Julie Flanders said...

Good luck! It's exciting that you are feeling so jazzed about that old project. Such a magical feeling.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

We are in the same boat. It is hard. I am rewriting a story I competed two years ago. It lacks in writing skill, but the storyline is really good and I'm trying not to get lost or overwhelmed. Good luck with your projects.

cleemckenzie said...

Sorry you lost a friend. That's always hard to deal with along with the business of handling the estate. Good luck with that re-write.

randi lee said...

Congratulations on rediscovering your love for your lost project! I recently fell back in love with something I haven't touched in a year. It's a great feeling :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It might be hard, but once you've finished, your story will be so much better and you'll feel great about it. That's why we write - for the euphoric high at the end of a quality piece.

LD Masterson said...

Isn't it great when we're feeling bogged down in one area and discover a little something in another that sparks renewed enthusiasm.

Sarah Foster said...

Good luck with the rewrite. I'm also completely redoing the last third of my book, so I feel your pain. It's great that you were able to rediscover an old project, too. That shows that we should never scrap our ideas, but set them aside until we're ready to work on them.

February IWSG Co-host

Arlee Bird said...

Good luck with all of the writing and everything else. Digging up old stuff is like unearthing buried treasure. Hope that goes well.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Patsy said...

Good luck with both projects. Glad you're only insecure about one!

Jemi Fraser said...

Really wish we could tell those niggling voices to stuff it!
I know what you mean about the rewrite being hard! And I find the endings the most difficult. Good luck with it Karen!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Good luck, Karen! And congratulations on looking at an older project and realizing you have something good to work with. I like that!

authorcgcoppola.com said...

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you're in a good (or better) place now. Finding anything that gets your exciting is awesome, and I hope you stick with your old project! With your new one... don't think of it as a struggle, but an exciting challenge! You're going to re write the third part of the book because you KNOW it could be better. And that's what you want. To write the BEST thing you can. But when I get really upset/ it's not working for me, I take a step back, go for a drive (or to work) and listen to my "book soundtracks." If I'm not so focused on it, the answers tend to come. Good luck and nice meeting you!