Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday Musings: Making changes

Guys, I feel sorry for you if you are with women like me. My poor hubby has been working all weekend to make the changes I felt compelled to make in our house. We have a pool table that was in hubby's family home growing up. It means a lot to him. It makes him happy to look at it. Doesn't matter that you can't really play pool well because the room it's in is too small and the cue sticks hit the wall. So it's been used to pile crap (er, things) on top of it and below it. A piano is also stuck in that too-small room, thus, the room is unusable and it made me crazy.

Sooo, I got this hare-brained idea to make our living room, which is a much larger room, into a game room. Weird that when you walk into our house you will now walk into a room with a pool table, a piano, and a card/game table and the former pool-table room, which is in the back of the house, will be a cozy living room/den/. It took us all day Saturday to take stuff out of cabinets and bookshelves, shampoo the rugs and put stuff in the garage we don't know what to do with now. Tomorrow, the moving guys are coming to move the furniture. we didn't want to risk hurting our friends' backs.

All because I decided I needed to clear out space, both internally and externally My poor poor hubby.
Are you like me? Are your significant others like me? Oy!

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

This makes a lot of sense to me! I think we need to rearrange our space to make it more useful to us. I think you were smart to switch things around and you'll get more use from the space this way. :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sometimes a change like this can really reinvigorate us internally and externally as you say :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I love moving stuff around, because there's always a better way it will fit if I keep trying.

Murees Dupé said...

Well, the first thing people will think when they enter your house is that you and your husband are a lot of fun. I have the tendency to move things around all the time. It drives my family crazy.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a creature of habit. Unless we are replacing the furniture, it doesn't get moved.
Much.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, I think it can be a very good thing -
Keith, here's hoping...
Diane, yeah!
Murees, I'll bet it does.
Alex, I'm a creature of habit, too, but every once in awhile I need to shake things up! In this case, having a room that was completely non-functional was the impetus.

Sarah Foster said...

It sounds like the first room people will walk into is now the most fun room to be in! It seems like you made the right choice. :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I've often done things like this as well and as long as it's our boys who have to do the heavy lifting instead of my husband, he's okay with it. Your idea sounds like a good one!

Bish Denham said...

I would love to clear out crap...er stuff, but hubby is having a hard time letting much of anything go.

Mary Clark, Traveler said...

That is an amazing idea and I hope it works. I like small, intimate rooms so you should be good. You married the perfect guy but then I'm biased!

Karen Walker said...

Sarah, love that -people will walk in and think "fun.!
Karen, would be nice to have healthy grown sons around.
Bish, er, join the club!
Mary, yup, I sure did!

Jack said...

Rearranging always gets interesting. I have a feeling when I have my own place I'll be the kind of person who does that every month or so

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a very smart plan to me! :)
My hubby is more of the 'let's change everything!!' kind than I am :)

DL Hammons said...

Your hubby was probably excited that he was actually getting a game room and didn't mind a bit. I wouldn't have! :)

Have a wonderful week.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Sounds like Young Son's house. I' expect that of him in any event, but he's renting and doesn't own the table. His San Diego house had a pool table in a balcony game room and had that cue stick problem.

Anyway, sounds like the table may be used now. Hooray for that. Are you actually getting rid of anything?