Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday Musings: updates

On the writing front:

    I now have 10,000+ words on the re-write of Part III of my novel. I can't tell yet if it's better than the original, but I know I got a clear message that it needed to be re-written. Oy!
    I have arranged several interviews for the nonfiction piece I began four years ago.
    I was felled by a flu last Wednesday and lost the rest of the week but today is a new day and I am ready to go.

On the home front:

     I am getting used to the new arrangement of our home, with the pool table in the living room. I really like the new living room, which, depending on the moment and my mood, I am calling the parlor or the den. It's cozy. The room is much smaller than I thought and several pieces from our original living room could not fit. So of course, now we have to have a garage sale. Which, of course, we can't do until we go through the other rooms, trying to eliminate clutter.

On the travel front:

     My hubby is not much of a reader, except for train magazines and Harry Potter. He loved the Harry Potter series and has been wanting to go to Universal Studios in Orlando since the Harry Potter exhibit opened. We have a special friend who is graduating high school in May and she also wanted to go see this particular exhibit. She will also ride roller coasters with hubs, which I will not do after the last time I went on the Cyclone at Coney Island and nearly had a heart attack. So we are taking her for her graduation present. Can't wait.

How about you? What's going on in your world?
Blessings,
Karen


12 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I hope you feel better Karen!! I love the Harry Potter stories! Just started reading them for the first time last Spring :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Islands of Adventure is one of my favorite parks! I haven't been since they added all of the Harry Potter stuff to both parks. Tell your husband to enjoy the coasters for me. (I almost fell asleep on the Incredible Hulk.)

Karen Walker said...

Keith, the stories are magical in every way.
Diane, I thought of you when we were planning this trip!

Arlee Bird said...

You have a pool table in your living room? You must have a pretty big living room or a small pool table.

I don't think I'd do roller coasters anymore. I've always liked riding them, but it's been a long while since the last one and I don't know if going these days would be the best idea.

Cheering you on with your book edit!

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Isn't that always how it happens? One project leads into another. You thought you'd do one simple thing and be done, but no...

Jemi Fraser said...

Hope you're feeling better now! The flus have been nasty this year up here too.
I'd love to see Harry Potter world one of these days - enjoy :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Going through my home room by room to clear space and reduce clutter was always a yearly event-- usually more if I was feeling choked by stuff. Good luck on your rewrite! I think reorganizing rooms and doing away with clutter helps the creative juices flow.

Sarah Foster said...

Hope you're feeling better! I can only do roller coasters if there's no going upside down...which most of them do, so I've only been on one once.

Jack said...

Getting any kind of rewriting done is always good. I know some people like it, but for me, I hate rewrites.

Oh! The trip coming up sounds fun!!

Tonja said...

I'm feeling pulled in too many directions, most of which I'm doing to myself. I wrote a draft of a short story today and actually posted a blog post that's not on the first Wednesday of the month.

I can't ride roller coasters anymore either. I can't even ride the big boat thing (at Kings Island) that just goes back and forth or anything at all that spins. I am no fun at amusement parks.

DL Hammons said...

You should contact my wife when you get ready to go see the Harry Potter park. She is a Travel Agent and EXTREMELY knowledgeable about all things Florida theme park! :)

Ann Best said...

How exciting, you're making great progress. I think the pool table sounds perfectly located. Sounds like the way Jen and I live in our duplex...for example, my bed in the corner of our living room. Otherwise, I'm upstairs away from her.

How fun to go to Orlando. Who doesn't love Harry Potter!