Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Clearing space

I am clearing space, both internally and externally. I feel such an urgency to do this. I don't know why. But as  soon as I decided to make the changes in our house, a creativity energy began to flow more freely inside me. I am someone who cannot stand to have things out that don't have a place for them. But as time goes on, you begin to run out of space and things get way too cluttered. We have bought so much on our trips together. Now we are going to begin sorting through, asking ourselves whether we love something, whether it has sentimental value. If it doesn't, my hope is we'll get rid of it. Wish me luck. My hubby's a pack rat.

How about you? How's your space? Too much stuff? Don't mind the clutter?
Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Purging is good. Like shedding the junk in our loves. I'm not about things, so I like doing it now and then.

Sharon Lippincott said...

When I say "we" are clearing things out to relocate from Pittsburgh to Austin, I really mean "he." I keep my stuff fairly well pruned. Ebooks help ever so much with that.

For many people, giving up piles of stuff is like amputating body parts. Anyone know of an anesthetic that doesn't come in a bottle and can be used all day?

DL Hammons said...

There have been too many times when a purge has resulted in me missing the item(s) later. I guess I'm kind of a pack-rat. :)

L.G. Smith said...

I spent two days doing a massive house cleaning for an appraisal. Wish the house would stay this nice all the time, but it's WAY too much work. :P

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

When we hit the road in the RV, we got rid of SO much stuff. It's very freeing. We have things in storage in Santa Fe, and now we have to get that stuff here to Florida. I wish we just didn't have it at all! It's very true that uncluttering your home can unclutter your mind and your life!

Crystal Collier said...

We've moved so many times that we really don't have that much stuff, especially for a 5 (almost 6) person family. Truthfully, I'm almost embarrassed by how bare-bones our place is, but then I remember: simplicity is a blessing. The less stuff I have, the less maintenance.

LD Masterson said...

I've hit my de-cluttering stage a few years ago. I have about half the "stuff" I used to have. It's wonderful.

Ann Best said...

I'm always sorting through clutter, which is now almost down to just the basics. I'm always rearranging furniture in our small duplex. It makes me feel wonderful. It's wonderful to see you again. I'm blogging again, mainly to keep in touch with a few special people, such as you. So many others have gone to Facebook and Google+, and I'm just not interested in them. I'm having enough trouble with Blogger because of the different email addresses I've had....I'll have to see how it goes....But cheers to you as you continue to travel the road.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm with you on this sentiment. It's been slow going for me--sometimes like a losing battle. Then there will be those days when it seems like I've made great strides.

I deal with the clutter, but when I start looking more closely at it all it makes me a bit frustrated. Rather than more stuff I'd much prefer to have more time.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out