Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: time

My new motto isn't working so well. The one I talked about a few weeks ago - there is enough time for me to do everything I want and need to do. I am still anxious that my age and my physical stamina are not going to allow me to finish my novel, publish it, and write and publish a nonfiction book that I am very excited about as well. And dance (for exercise). And keep doing Sugartime (my singing duo that performs at retirement communities). And have time for hubby and friends and family.

But if I stop and allow myself to breathe and take a time out, I know that I can do everything if I just focus on one baby step at a time. Not think about all the projects. Just one part of one project at a time.

Ahhh. Tummy calms down. Heart beats normally. Brain doesn't feel fogged. Energy flows freely through my body.

How about you? How do you manage time?
Blessings
Karen

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Take breaks and recharge. And goodness, you are still young! There is time for both books.

Karen Walker said...

Ah, Alex, you sweet man - thanks for that!

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, I'm a few years older than you, and I know about that crunch feeling. I'm sliding into realizing that what matters is loving each day for as many as I have left. Play with that phrase, loving every day. I mean it in every sense.

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, Sharon, thanks for this. Love that!

Pearson Report said...

Hmm, this was an interesting post, Karen. I feel the same about my time management skills - which are in fact not skills at all!

Late in December I decide to allot 15 minutes to my free writing. That fifteen has grown all on its own. I think it's a little like gardening. We just do a little watering each day and before you know it your garden is blooming with the most amazing flowers.

You're so right, it's all about baby steps. So, keep taking them, there's no rush.

Sent with smiles, Jenny
PearsonReport
Write Brain Challenge

Arlee Bird said...

Where it comes to managing time, I am probably the wrong person to ask. But your suggestion makes good sense.


Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Chrys Fey said...

You can do it! I manage time by setting goals for each day, especially for certain times of the day. Like in the morning I deal with my blog. During lunch and the afternoon I do editing. After dinner and into the evening, I write.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

You can absolutely do this, Karen.

Focus on what you can do at a given moment. You certainly have time to do all that you want. It's just doubt trying to make you fail.