Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group - March

It's time once again to chime in with where I am in my writing journey. Once again, thank you Alex, for creating this group. To find out more about IWSG, check out Alex's blog for details and how to join: www.http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com.







I am feeling very insecure right now about my re-write. I know what is required, but for some reason, I am afraid. I am afraid I'll spend all this time re-writing and it won't be any good. I'm afraid nothing will come from my retreating from life to allow this book to emerge. I'm afraid I'll die before I finish.
Oy vay! What a crock. This right here is one of the joys of writing for me -- to discover how I'm really feeling so I can shift that energy into something better. Fear is faith that hasn't said it's prayers. I am now praying. Connecting to Spirit. Shifting into that place of knowing all will be the way it is meant to be. Trusting the process. Trusting the journey. And when I get into fear, I know I have forgotten all of this. Breathe, Karen, Breathe.

Blessings
Karen

23 comments:

authorcgcoppola.com said...

Wow. The first part of your post had me saying "aw! Don't feel that way." And the second I was nodding, saying "yeah! You go! You got to BELIEVE it!" Fear is faith that hasn't said it's prayers - that's powerful and you can't forget it. Just remember the beauty of what you're writing and aim for that. You'll get there :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You've got it! Trust the progress. Every time I do any editing, it's like cleaning my house...it's not perfect, but isn't it *so* much better than it was?

Nick Wilford said...

Keep breathing! I could learn something from your approach here.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Let the faith take over. Fear and faith can't exist in the same body.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

But it will be better. Whenever we completely rewrite something, it always turns out better. Trust yourself.

Karen Walker said...

authorcgcoppolla, thank you for the visit here and the lovely comment. I'm working on it...
Elizabeth, good analogy - thanks
Nick, sigh!
Diane, you're so right.

Arlee Bird said...

Definitely keep breathing or you will die! I have similar fears and I'm not even at the rewrite stage. I guess we've just got to keep going and not think too much about not being able to keep going. Think about it too much and you can get bogged down in all the worry. Now I have to remember this.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

cleemckenzie said...

I can relate to you re-write woes. I'm in the middle of exactly that. I keep asking myself if I'm wasting my time. Should I move on to another story or keep at this one. Huge decision. Good luck with yours.

L.G. Smith said...

At least you're one of those people who recognizes it's about the journey. That's where the joy comes from, even if it's sometimes disguised as agony. :)

J Q Rose said...

Definitely need a quote art piece for this Fear is faith that hasn't said its prayers." Take a deep breath and dive in. You can do it!

Dee Connell said...

I'm starting a rewrite myself, so I'm currently feeling that same fear. But! It's also a really exciting time, isn't it? What comes out of it can only be better than what we started with.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, so true, trust is such a huge issue for me.
Lee, we can help each other remember this!
I know I'm not wasting my time with this one - of that I am certain, CL.
LG, ah, that's true.
JQ, not my quote, but thanks
Dee, good luck!

DL Hammons said...

Absolutely...trust the journey! :)

LD Masterson said...

"Fear is faith that hasn't said it's prayers." Okay, so say those prayers and push on. It will be good.

Jenni Enzor said...

So true. Fear is the opposite of faith. It's always hard when you're revising, but not quite finished to see that it will be better.
Keep going! I'm sure it will be worth it.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Karen I am with Alex. Definitely trust yourself :)

Fundy Blue said...

You'll get there, Karen. I'm a big believer in trusting the process. Love that Wordsworth quote on the right side! Good luck with your rewriting!

Stephanie Bird said...

Love this post! Thanks Karen. I'm in that same, dare I say, sweet spot, of the re-write time.

Pearson Report said...

Hi Karen,

I live by this saying… I have it pinned up all over the place.

Do the thing you fear the most and the death of fear is certain.

It works for me.

I enjoyed this post because I could feel the shift in your thinking… you'll overcome your fear, and you'll finish your re-write… all before you die! LOL You'll see!

Hugs and Love, Jenny xxoo

nashvillecats2 said...

A good and interesting post to read Karen, You are a very gifted writer and I hope you continue to write more books.

Karen Walker said...

Thank you all so much for the love and support. I like that quote very much, Jenny.

Jack said...

I think every writer might face those fears, I know I do all the time. It is hard to put so much work into something and have plans to share it, it makes one feel uncertain.

It is always worth it, but hard to reach the goal. Sometimes we have to simply push through.

I hope the best for you

Lanise Brown said...

Hi Karen, I think all writers have insecurities and fears about their work. But what's important is to keep writing. I find this quote inspiring:

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." -William Blake

So hang in there. :)