Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 2, 2015

Monday Musings: Getting down to business

Okay, so I know life happens. Invitations come. People die. People have birthdays, anniversaries. These things must be honored and respected and celebrated. Health seems to come and go with me. There's always something I'm dealing with. Am I going to allow myself to feel defeated because I'm afraid I can't do what I've set out to do?

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm depressed because something is wrong or I'm depressed because I'm not doing what I'm meant to be doing. I think this time around it's the latter. I need to be writing this novel and starting work on the nonfiction book that turns me on. Does this mean I need to retreat a bit more from actual life? I think so. Now I just need to figure out how to do that without becoming a hermit.

Blessings
Karen

11 comments:

Liza said...

Hope you find a good compromise.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There is a balance because it's easy to retreat too far. I am guilty of that.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Dive into the writing - if it makes you happy and less depressed, then you'll know that's it.

Karen Walker said...

Liza, thanks, me, too
Diane, yeah, I've done that before, too
Alex, that is what I'm feeling I must do - thanks for the encouragement.

Arlee Bird said...

No, you're not going to allow yourself to feel defeated! And that's an order from me.

You can do it. Those moments of doubt are natural and you don't need to entirely retreat from life. Just find the balance as best you can.

I know you can do it!

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What a challenge it is, writing and not retreating... finding the balance. It's a little easier for me here now that I'm away from family and friends, but then I only have myself to blame when I don't do the work. Right now I'm on the 30 minutes a day schedule, to get the rough draft of my next book going. I can do 30 minutes! I always tell myself, and I can. Once it's time to do the part I love, it will be a LOT more than 30 minutes a day.

nashvillecats2 said...

Take each day as it comes Karen. #Take care.
Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Lee, thanks for that today!
Karen, yeah, I forgot about setting a settable timeframe. Thanks
Yvonne, good advice. Thanks

DL Hammons said...

I believe it's all part of the ebb and flow...and being able to roll with the punches is essential! :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Hugs to you as you look for the balance! I'm not sure I achieve that balance much...I do lean on the side of being a hermit. Not very good for me, either.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - You've got Sugartime to take you out and about .. and a hubby to give you breaks from your hermit cave - so do what you can when you can and don't fret! Cheers Hilary