Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 9, 2015

Monday Musings: updates

14,000+ words and counting. Part III rewrite is coming along. I have set an intention of having this first draft completed by my birthday, April 24. Which means I will not be participating in the A-Z Challenge this year. I just can't split my energy and attention that way. I wouldn't do the challenge justice and I wouldn't do my rewrite justice. Sigh. I used to multi-task so well.

I love our home's new arrangement. Never thought I'd say I like the pool table (I've hated it for 19 years), but I do. The "play" room is just that. It's whimsical and fun. We hosted a game day on Sunday. Some folks played pool, others played Password, some played board games. All because I realized I needed to laugh more in my life.

I realized there are several things I need to do each day in order to feel that it was a good day: prayer/meditation, write in my journal, dance/movement, practice singing, and write. If I do those things, I'm a happy camper.

When I was a little girl, I wanted to play the piano. I had a good ear and could pick out tunes if I got near one, but parents couldn't afford a piano, so they bought me an accordion instead. I took lessons for a year, but never took to that instrument. Fast-forward to three years ago. I inherited a piano and began taking lessons. I learned how to read music, which helped my singing immensely. But it was hard and took a lot of time, time I wanted to be spending on writing. And life. Fast forward to now. I received a birthday gift last year from a good friend--Easy Piano Books - it has songs with simple chords and melodies that anyone can play. If you write in the notes that go to a particular chord and you know your melody notes, you can play. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to sit and play and sing. All by myself. This isn't for anyone else. Not good enough for that. But there is something about a piano keyboard and sound that fills my soul with joy.

How about you? What's new in your world?
Blessings,
karen

22 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I think it's wonderful how you embraced that pool table and turned it into a fun accessory for the room...and even had a game day!

My daughter plays piano...and I think that's so cool. So glad your thoughtful friend found such a helpful gift!

nashvillecats2 said...

My Karen a lot of words, you writing about playing the piano, I could pick up tunes by the age of 2 years old, went on to have proper lessons at four, passed many examinations over the years. Yes! Music was my first love.

Great post, Karen have a nice day.

Liz Fichera said...

It's never too late to learn piano! I have a piano as well and love to tinker with songs and chords by myself. I can't imagine a home without a piano.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I never learned to play an instrument, so I'm glad you can really enjoy your piano now.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, it only took 19 years to embrace the pool table!!!!
Yvonne, would love to hear you play some day
Liz, yes, a piano is a wonderful addition to a home.
Diane, I was 50 when I started learning guitar. You have time!!!

Manzanita said...

What a neat, positive post. And you are a neat, positive person.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know playing the guitar fills me with joy.
Congratulations on the rewrite progress.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Manzanita - so are you
Alex, some day I want to hear you play - thanks, I'm pretty jazzed the draft is almost done

Karen Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Best said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Best said...

Dear Karen. So happy to see the rewrites going so well. I can't do the A to Z either, even though I gave it some consideration. But there's my caregiving duties with Jen, and now I feel very strongly I need to write that second memoir. I've learned to prioritize, and so have you.

We have a lot in common, my friend, besides our first memoirs. Music. Though I don't sing, but I began taking violin lessons when I was 12, then piano at 14 when my parents found a used one. This was 1954; my father leased a small gas station and didn't make much money, but we always had what we needed, and when I was a senior I worked a job after school that paid for music lessons. I especially loved the piano, and played quite a bit until the last 15 years or so. I knew a dear woman years ago who said she was going to take up the violin when she retired, age 65, from teaching, which she did; but laughed at herself when she realized this was a bit old to take it up. The violin isn't an easy instrument to play, but it was a great experience. I did play 2nd position in the high school orchestra, and I still remember first and third positions on the instrument, and have other warm memories involving it.

Wow. Your post got me going down memory lane...

Thanks for stopping by and cheering me on with MY memoir. I'm anxious to read YOUR book too, so keep working on it...step by step will get us there!

DL Hammons said...

I had a guitar when I was in college that I tried for years to learn how to play...but alas...my fingers were just too short. I still miss it. :)

Karen Walker said...

Ann, love this response. Yes, step by step, one day at a time will get us there.
DL, I have short fingers, too - that's why guitar was so hard - couldn't do some of the chords.

authorcgcoppola.com said...

Wow. Prayer/writing/dancing/singing... that sounds like an AMAZING day. And you're right, if you fill it with things you love, everyday is wonderful.

You could always laugh more. It's so magically healing, I thank God he gave me humor. And is helping me share it. And YES. Pianos are AWESOME. I don't have one, but I have a keyboard which I dabble on from time to time. I've tried to teach Batman (my boyfriend) how to play heart and souls. He does it until he messes up, then sits down and watches TV. Men.

Murees Dupé said...

It is wonderful that you could feel that joy. Keep doing things that make you happy. Yay for all the writing progress.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What good news! Isn't it odd how turning something around in a new way can bring new life and healthy experiences? I've seen this happen in my own life at different times, but nothing says it better than your pool table experience!

Jemi Fraser said...

Love that you're using the Play Room! And you had a Play Date :) Awesome!!

There really is something about sitting down at a keyboard, isn't there? Brings me joy - even though I'm not very good!

Robin said...

Reading your post makes me realize that I am not doing the things I love daily consistently. Worse, I seem to spend all of my time trying to "plan" for potential futures or rehashing that which cannot be changed (the past) and totally missing out on what I should be doing now (in the present). Life is better when we actually do what we love. Thanks for this!

Arlee Bird said...

A game day! That sounds like a fun time.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out