Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: if I'm not writing I'm not happy

Yeah. That's right. If I'm not writing I'm not happy. Seems like a simple solution to being unhappy right? Write! Not that simple folks. If you're not a writer, try sitting down in front of a blank piece of paper and create something from nothing. Try opening yourself to other voices asking you to tell their story, then try to ferret out what that story is. Then try to write it in a way that is appealing to others.
Yet write I must. Even if it's just my journal writing and nothing else comes for my novel, I'm happy. Writing has been the way I make sense of me and my world. It is where I can speak my truth. It was easier when no one else saw my words. Writing my memoir took much courage because others would see my pain. Novel writing is different. It's fiction, after all. But it's still putting my truth down on paper. Even if it's "made up" truth. So, no matter how hard the journey is. No matter how many obstacles I face before I get the damned thing done and published, if I'm not writing I'm not happy.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Truth is all in one's perspective, right?
I'm happier when I'm playing my guitar.

Liza said...

I'm happier when I'm writing, no matter what it is.

Karen Walker said...

Right, Alex.
Liza, aren't we lucky we get to do it?

Arlee Bird said...

It's probably easier for the critics to judge your fiction rather than your memoir. No one should have the right to criticize a life, but a made up story is something that invites speculation, criticism, and perhaps even ridicule. That's putting oneself on the line as a writer.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Lynn said...

I find when I start writing, I get happy. But thinking about writing feels scary, for lack of a better word!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - we want to write, yet can't get the words out .. or get them twisted up ... but the sentences will come, the paragraphs will grow and you'll ease into the the story ..

Good for you - cheers Hilary

L.G. Smith said...

True that.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Writing is good for the soul, indeed :) I can see why it makes you happy.

Ann Best said...

Writing IS indeed so very difficult yet satisfying, but if we persevere and finish the journey connecting with others in the process it is all worthwhile...a wonderful journey into our souls, and the souls of others. Keep writing !!!

Robin said...

I find that writing is hard here. I had no idea that I wanted to write a novel when I bought this house. There is simply no place I can go that I don't hear my mother. She talks, she hums, she mumbles to herself. She watches TV. She has no idea, but she's constant and unrelenting noise. It makes writing tough. Sometimes I put in my earphones, but don't actually listen to music.

nashvillecats2 said...

Writing is also a therapy Karen, well it is for me, I can write down my innermost thoughts. So if you're happiest when you're writing then write. As for Alex happiest playing his guitar WHEN are we going to hear a sample? ....lol
Take care.

Karen Walker said...

Lee, I think no matter what a writer is writing, they are putting themselves on the line.
Lynn, very true.
Hilary, yes, I am happy it's coming along nicely.
L.G. Thanks for stopping by
Keith, it's certainly good for my soul.
Ann, you, too!
Robin, oh dear, that's hard. I'm sorry.
Yvonne, I agree about Alex and the guitar!!

LD Masterson said...

I used to say, I don't love writing, I love having written. Then I found out someone famous said that first so I dropped the line, but it's still true. For me writing is like running. I never really enjoyed running (before my knees gave out), but I craved that post run high. Even when it's first draft crap, I love meeting the characters I've created and discovering what they're all about.

Is that too weird?

Karen Walker said...

No, LD, not weird at all.

Sandra Cox said...

I'm happy writing when the muse is whispering, if she's not....life gets challenging.