Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Part III rewrite update

When I submitted this rewrite to my editor, what I was really needing to know was whether the total rewrite of this section works in terms of the story and how it fits with Parts I and II. The good news is it works. And the ending is powerful. However, there is more work that needs to be done to be done done done. I'm okay with that. I knew going in there was more work. I just didn't know exactly what and where. Well, that's not totally true. I knew some of it. When will I learn to listen to myself all of the time and trust what I'm feeling and hearing? Oy!

Anyhow, the long and short of it is the main character needs to be more three dimensional. The two main relationships she has needs to be developed more. And there needs to be more conflict throughout. Easy peasy, right?

I do not feel bad about this. Surprised, yes? So am I. I wasn't paying attention to these things at this juncture. I was concerned totally with plot. I can see what this book is going to be when it is finished, and I know the steps I need to take to get it there. I am excited and can't wait to get back to writing. Just have to get through tomorrow and part of Wednesday, then I'm there.

Take care.
Karen

9 comments:

Murees Dupé said...

That's a great attitude to have. You can do this!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great that it works now! And knowing what to fix is most of the battle. Attack it with a positive attitude and it will be all right.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like you've got a plan in place that will work and make everything come together as it should. Great attitude, keep it up. :)

L.G. Smith said...

Keep calm and write on. :)

Pearson Report said...

Like the little train that could…

It's all in your attitude which, from reading this, is ready to tackle the steep hill. It's good you have such a great editor who's able to shed light on the spots you've overlooked.

The end is in sight Karen, smile!

Cheers, Jenny xxoo

Karen Walker said...

Smiling, here.....good luck to everyone who is participating in the A-Z this year. You all know what I'll be doing...

nashvillecats2 said...

Keep smiling Karen, just think how wonderful the finished book is going to be and the success that goes with it.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You focused on plot. Now focus on characters. You can do it.

Arlee Bird said...

This all sounds good. And you sound less stressed. Nice!

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out