Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group - April

I'm editing the final part of my first novel. I can see the end in sight. Not sure how long the journey to get there will take, but I know I'll make it now.

Monday I signed up for Jane Friedman's six-week 90-minute lecture series on Publishing. I know things have changed radically since I published my memoir in 2009, so this is very necessary for me to feel a bit more knowledgeable when making decisions about this book. When you put your heart and soul into something over such a long period of time, you want to give it your best shot and even though I don't feel in this moment, right now, that I have energy for this, it's the right thing to do.

My insecurity comes from doubting myself. What is helping me very much these days is a quote from Richard Rohr, a Franciscan monk who has written many books and is a gifted spiritual teacher. When asked what his definition of suffering was, he said, "Suffering is trying to make what is--something it isn't." Now I am asking myself in various situations, what is the reality here, how am I feeling, what can I do about it, if anything? The reality is I will have a finished novel some time in the next few months and I want it out there in the world. Hopefully, my incredible editor and this course will help me get there.

This post is for April's Insecure Writer's Support Group, the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh, whose new release is coming in six days. Watch this blog and thousands of others for the release on April 7. To find other members of the support group, please visit Alex at http://www.alexj.cavanaugh.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Good morning Karen, I think we are all insecure of ourselves in some aspects of our lives but to overcome it is try to be as positive as one can be,
I do hope your book will be finished soon, what will you be doing when it is all complete and on the shelves being the success it deserves to be?
Have a good day.
Yvonne.

authorcgcoppola.com said...

I'm also battling self doubt. Like, the belief is there but I get caught up on the crapshoot of reality. But you see the end of your book in sight - that's great! Doesn't it make you feel good to accomplish a work of art?

Be proud of yourself and everything you're doing to reaching your goal :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We have to keep striving for the goal even when we don't feel like it, knowing we will make something out of nothing!

Nick Wilford said...

I'm rooting for you to get your book finished. It means a lot to you and I know you can do it!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Just keep working with your editor and it will all come together.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, yes, everyone has some degree of insecurity. It's how we deal with it that matters. Thanks
cg, yes, it is a wonderful feeling to accomplish something this monumental. I look forward to that feeling of accomplishment. Thanks.
Alex, yes, we do.
Nick, that means a lot, thank you.
Diane, that's the plan. Thanks

Robin said...

I really like that quote on suffering. I think that is spot on, though I've never thought of it in that way. Bad stuff happens and we suffer when we dwell on how we want it to be instead of what it is. We just have to get through what IS.

Murees Dupé said...

I am confident that you will get your book done and bless us with your story. Cheering for you.

Manzanita said...

Karen
I enjoyed reading your memoir so I know this book will also be a success. You have so many wonderful talents and hobbies to carry you into the"quieter life.

J Q Rose said...

Karen, keep in mind why you are writing your story. What is the message you want others to be aware of? You need to finish the book to get it into the hands of readers, and you can do it! Best wishes!!!

Karen Walker said...

Robin, yeah, that quote is helping me quite a bit
Murees, thanks for the cheers
Manzanita, wow, I'm always surprised to hear someone read my memoir. Thanks so much. I will definitely finish and get it out there. Thanks
JQ, thanks so much

Ann Best said...

Good luck to you too, dear Karen! So you're an April baby. Happy birthday whenever the day. My oldest daughter is April 8th.

Yes, things have changed drastically in the publishing industry since your wonderful memoir came out...and mine, also. But I am so looking forward to reading your novel. May we both have a productive April.

I am learning to relax more, and I sense you are too...getting more in touch with our spiritual voices. This is so important in a chaotic world...and to find peace in our writing, getting in touch with our inner self. I have learned a lot from you in this regard, in case I've never told you this. From following you these years, I know you have this other story to tell, and we/I need to read it.

Karen Walker said...

Oh, dear Ann, how I wish we lived close so we could get together and talk. My book is spiritual in nature, but I'm not sure you'll like it because of your background. We'll see. Thank you for sharing that I've helped in some small way.

Pearson Report said...

One step at a time, Karen.

Sometimes the steps seem so tiny we don't realize we've taken them… until one day we are at the top of the mountain watching the most spectacular sunrise we could only have imagined up until that moment.

Your sunrise awaits, keep taking those tiny steps toward it. It will be there when you're ready.

Hugs, Jenny
Pearson Report
2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
@PearsonReport

Tess Julia said...

Love the quotes on your blog! Best wishes to you on the final stages of your novel. That's quite an accomplishment.

Julie Flanders said...

Interesting quote and I always love coming upon one I've never seen before. I am the queen of self doubt so I can definitely relate to what you are struggling with. I hope the lecture series is helpful for you!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,

Good luck with your new novel! You are planning ahead and that is great! You'll find a home for you novel because you are putting in the time and doing the research.

ALL the best!!!!

Karen Walker said...

Tess Julia, thank you, I love them, too
Julie, thanks, me, too (about lecture, I mean)
Michael, thanks - that's certainly the intention

LD Masterson said...

Keep pushing. You're on the home stretch.

Misha Gericke said...

You can do it! All the best. :-)

Brandon Ax said...

That doubt sure is funny. I often find it hits me hardest at night when everything slows down.

Good Luck on your novel.

~Brandy~ said...

So close you can imagine holding the finished novel in your loving hands I bet! Congratulations and good for you for taking the initiative to learn about publishing! I think that's a great way to combat insecurity - knowledge is power and confidence!
Brandy from Brandy's Bustlings