Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 11, 2015

Monday Musings: Oklahoma City

I didn't expect to like Oklahoma City. I thought it would be ultra conservative and cowboyish and well, not sure what I thought, but I was very pleasantly surprised. We went to visit our niece and her family and hubby's sister and her hubby were visiting as well. We have two grand-nephews, one we'd met when he was one year old and the other, who is two, we'd yet to meet.

The kids were adorable. We attended the older one's soccer game in which he scored seven goals. These were four-year-olds. So cute.


We also went to the memorial at the site of the Oklahoma City bombing of the federal building in 1995. Very powerful memorial. At one end is a granite slab with the time of 9:01.





At the other end the time of 9:03, with a serenity pool in between. The chairs represent each adult and child who died, all 168 of them. Many smaller chairs (for a child) had stuffed animals on them. It was very moving to be there.





The city was vibrant with energy. Lots of galleries and neat shops. Great food. Lots of ethnic diversity. 

Glad to be home, though. Awaiting notes from copy editor. Can't wait to put the finishing touches on my novel. Still working on my query and synopsis. Yuck!

How are all of you?
blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a great trip! I've never been to Oklahoma City. The terrorist attack there really upset me at the time...I think because of the children involved. Nice memorial.

Good luck with the copy editor! You're almost done!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Viewing that memorial would've been so moving. I've driven through Oklahoma City several times but never stopped to see the sights.

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Elizabeth, the thought of parents dropping their children off at a daycare center thinking they would be safe -- it's unimaginable.
DIane, it was very moving. I don't really have words.

Bish Denham said...

I'm not sure I could visit the memorial. I think I'd start sobbing uncontrollably. It looks peaceful though, a fitting tribute.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Viewing the chairs, especially all the small ones, would be hard.

Arlee Bird said...

Cool that you got to go to OKC. When I was on the road we'd usually spend a few days there and it was usually during state fair time so we often got to go to the fair during our stays. A few years ago my wife and I spent the night in OKC as we made a cross country trek. The next morning we went early to the morning to the Memorial. It was so serene that early in the day and a moving experience.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Robin said...

Sounds like a good trip.

4-year-olds playing anything is always so gosh darn cute.

I feel sad just looking at your pics of the memorial.

Hart Johnson said...

I've never been there but have similar preconceptions to what it sounds like you had. Glad it was a pleasant surprise! I had a similar experience when I went to a conference in St. Louis a few years back--totally was really to be unimpressed and it was quite the opposite.

Karen Walker said...

Bish, I totally understand. It's very emotional.
Alex, I lost it when I saw the little chairs.
Arlee, It's a way to honor those we lost, isn't it?
Robin, sorry, didn't mean to make you sad.
Hart, I always like when I am surprised like that.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I don't think I've ever been to Oklahoma City, at least not to visit and look around, maybe just driving through. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

~Sia McKye~ said...

While there are a lot of cowboys and such in Oklahoma City, there is a lot of diversity. It's a pretty area and only a few hours from me.

Oh, I remember watching the little guys play soccer. My son started when he was 8 and played til he was 11 and we move closer to hubs work and they don't do soccer here. If it isn't baseball or basketball, it girly sports. Seriously.

Good luck on the copy edits. :-)

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Jemi Fraser said...

What a beautiful memorial! Glad you enjoyed the city and I don't know if there are too many things more fun than soccer games with little ones!!

Connie Arnold said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. Sounds like a great trip. I love watching little kids play soccer! Best wishes to you on your novel!