Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: aftermath of book

As most of you were meeting the challenge of completing the A-Z blogging event, I was meeting my own challenge of completing my debut novel manuscript by my birthday (4/24). I did it. It's now in the hands of a really fine copy editor (my first editor was more of the big picture -- characterization, plot issues, timeline problems, etc.).

In the meantime, I'm taking an online course with Jane Friedman, MBA for writers to bring myself up to speed on where publishing is now since I published my memoir in 2009.

I'm also working on my query letter and synopsis and will probably pay to have those critiqued as well.

My plan: to feel as if I've done everything I possibly can to get this book out in the world in the best way possible.

The aftermath: I got really scared when I typed "The End." I don't think anyone who hasn't attempted to write a novel could possibly understand what goes into doing it, especially if you've been a non-fiction writer your whole adult life. It is one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing I've ever done. And my fear is that I haven't done it well enough, but I know many writers feel this way. I'm not alone.

More on this in tomorrow's IWSG post.

Blessings
Karen

9 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Good for you Karen and good luck with your future plans,

Yvonne.

Glynis said...

Good luck! x

Liza said...

You are moving forward and that's the best thing you can do. Sounds like you are critical of yourself, but in a good way. Its up to us to challenges ourselves to create a final product worthy of the effort.

Manzanita said...

What an accomplishment. I'd be out of my skull happy to do something like that and I know you are too. Best wishes for finding the right people now.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Yvonne.
Glynis, hope I have 1/4 of your success!
Liza, yes, one baby step at a time.
Manzanita, thanks so much.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad it's done and getting its final edits! The End becomes easier, it really does.

Karen Walker said...

That's good to know, Alex.

Jennifer Chandler said...

Karen,
This is WONDERFUL news! Congratulations on not only meeting your goal but on FINISHING your new NOVEL! That's so exciting! Best of luck to you on the editing and critiquing and the class. An MBA for writers sounds marvelous!

Cheers,
Jen

Arlee Bird said...

Moving on to the #IWSG post to see what's next.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host

Tossing It Out