Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Can't wait to be done

So, I think I will pay to have my query letter and synopsis professionally critiqued. On May 25 I should get the list of small publishers from the researcher I hired. Then in June, I can begin sending out the package.

I've been taking an online course for writers offered by Jane Friedman. It's very informative and frankly, intimidating and overwhelming. If I weren't 66 years old - if I were 30-something, I wouldn't be feeling this way. But I only have so much energy at this stage of my life, so I might have to relax my expectations of what can happen with this novel in terms of marketing.  I think I'm okay with that.  This was never about making money for me, this writing business. It's always been about needing to put down on paper what my heart and soul need to express.

So I'm evaluating what I can and can't, am willing and not willing do, and we'll go from there.
Anyone else have issues with the marketing aspects of being a writer?

Karen

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just pace yourself. Don't overdo it. Figure out what you can do for marketing and what you can't do. Because yes, it can be exhausting.

Karen Walker said...

And you're young, Alex!

Robin said...

Karen, I suspect the marketing aspects of writing are the most intimidating of all. I kinda sorta envy those people who wrote before social media existed. They weren't required to get out there and market like crazy. The publisher allotted more funds for that sort of thing. Of course, self-publishing didn't exist (or very rarely happened). Anyway, for every plus there's a minus.

Just do what you can to fulfill the goals of YOUR heart.

Arlee Bird said...

Have you sent your query to Matthew at QQQ or any of the other query blogs. I know writers often send their manuscripts to be professionally edited but I'd never heard about paying to have a query letter critiqued. This writing stuff can get expensive! Hopefully the return would make the investment worthwhile.

Now I'm starting to sweat and fret for you. Well at least you're doing stuff and that to me is a positive.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Lee, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should start there. Thanks

Denise Covey said...

Karen this is inspiring for we older writers. I find inspiration from Rosamund Pitcher, the English novelist who started publishing books at 80! Maybe that'll be me if I don't get the skids on!

I wish you every success. There are some great online courses out there. I did one which really helped polish my writing.

Denise :-)

Murees Dupé said...

I heard that is a very good course, though. Just do your best and work at your own pace. I think it is great that you have decided there are certain things you won't do to get published or to market your work. It is so easy to lose one's perspective. I think you have the right attitude and I know you can do whatever you set your mind to. Wishing you the best.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, remember, Goddess tossed you this project. Follow the whispers!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

The only way I deal with marketing is to do what I can when a book is released and then let go of whatever the outcome is. And start the next book.