Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group - June

Well, two months short of the 7-year mark, I'm calling my book done. I've lost count of the drafts and revisions. It's the best I can do at this moment in time and I hope and pray it's good enough for a publisher to be interested. Now I am turning my attention to the query and synopsis. I hope to begin sending packages out by mid-June or third week in June for sure.

I'm feeling kind of numb on the day I am writing this post. I think I want to be in neutral gear emotionally as I shift into this next phase. I need to develop a thick skin and be prepared for anything. A yes. A no. A maybe. And at the end of six months or a year (I haven't decided yet) I will assess and go from there.

Am I feeling insecure? You bet I am. But I'm also feeling confident that I've done the best I can. Am I scared? Mostly I'm concerned about the query process and wondering if I should skip it altogether and just self-publish. And mostly, I'm bone weary. Writing this book is one of the hardest things I've ever done. There is always a let down when one has accomplished something, but I can't remember anything (other than college) that took so long to accomplish. And this was way way harder than college courses.

So, dear blogging buddies, I want to thank you, especially Alex J. Cavanaugh http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating this group so we have a place to share these thoughts and feelings. If you are a writer, be sure to check out Alex's blog for details about ISWG and other cool, interesting stuff.

Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

authorcgcoppola.com said...

You should feel so proud of yourself. Look at what you've accomplished! And any great risk is going to be scary, but you can do it! You already have :) Believe in yourself and the rest will unfold.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It doesn't matter how long it took. It's complete now. Relax and focus on the next step.

Murees Dupé said...

Congratulations on finishing your book! You should be proud of yourself, because you kept at it. I wish you well with the querying.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

A book takes as long as it takes! Glad you're confident knowing you've done a great job.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's ready - now deep breath! And hold on to that confidence.

Julie Musil said...

Oh, Karen, you did it!!! You should feel soooo proud of yourself! No matter what happens, you've bared your soul and finished a book. Now take that leap and take the next step. You can do it.

Julie Flanders said...

This is so wonderful. Congratulations and well done!! So happy for you!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Allow yourself to wallow in the joy of completing your book. It's a wonderful accomplishment, and you should be very proud of yourself, no matter how long the next step takes, or in what direction it takes you. Celebrate what you've achieved, because as my grandmother would have said, "You done good, girl!"

Karen Walker said...

You all make me cry. Thank you so much.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Congrats on finishing. The query part is dreadful, I'm forewarning you. But go out on a limb and take a chance! You did your best, that's the awesome part! Now grow that thick skin and take your book on the road...

Tracy Jo said...

Congrats on finishing, that's huge. It has to feel sort of weird, I think I will feel a bit lost once I'm done too. I love that you feel you did your best! You put your heart and soul in it and I can't wait to read your book someday. :-)

Sheila Renfro said...

I've been working on my novel for almost as long so this is encouraging news to me. I have decided, that this is a learning the craft time for. Good Luck and hope to hear you get an acceptance in the future.

Denise Covey said...

You've achieved something many writers dream of, Karen, actually finishing a book, along with no doubt much editing, rewriting etc. It's worth the time. And I don't think self-publishing is an easy option, but it is an option.

Denise :-)

My IWSG post on Mindfulness

Jay Noel said...

Thick skin is the name of the game. Too many of us haven't gotten our teeth kicked-in in this business, and it's so easy to just press PUBLISH. Lots of writers get their feelings hurt too easily. So you've got the right attitude.

Distance is a good thing. You've done all you can, and now it's onto the next phase.

Vanessa Morgan said...

Congratulations on finishing your book. That's great news.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Congratulations! Seven years - that's amazing. I'm lucky if I can focus on anything for seven minutes. Whatever happens next, be proud of your dedication and determination.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen.... CONGRATS! You did it! Writing a novel is not for the faint of heart. Yes, you did your best and now it's time to get it out to the world...

Don't get discouraged by the query process. It truly is a LEARNING experience. I'm right there with you. I've queried the same novel on and off for three years now. BUT, with each new 'run' something positive came out of it. And now I am waiting to hear from an agent who has had my full for a month now. Will she rep me? Who knows, BUT at least she requested the full.. That is the first MAJOR step!

All the best with you querying... stay strong and focused and DON'T give up....

~Sia McKye~ said...

Good for you Karen! A finished project should make you feel proud. Now, the finding of a home--like you said, it takes tough skin to query agents and publishers. Here's hoping it will be just the thing the agent or publisher was looking for!

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Diane Burton said...

What an accomplishment! Celebrate. Be proud of yourself. So many writers never finish a book. Savor the moment then move on.