Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday Musings: a near perfect day!

I had a near-perfect day on Saturday. Most of you know I struggled with a heart condition for the last few years. In November I had a procedure and the condition seems to be mostly gone. At least I don't feel bad anymore, physically. But I've been afraid to exercise because when I did before and my heart rate accelerated, it stayed accelerated for hours and I felt awful (I'm talking 200 beats per minute).
I've been trying to figure out how to get back to moving my body in a way that will make me stronger and more fit and keep me healthy. Did I mention I hate exercising? Wont go to a gym. Won't use weights. Do NOT want to do squats. My legs are particularly weak. I have a major goal: to be able to squat or kneel and stand up again without holding onto to something.

Last week I checked out two new dance classes. One does choreographed routines to Broadway tunes. Might I say I was in heaven? The other was a tap class (I haven't done tap since I was seven). It was a lot of fun, but more importantly, it worked every part of my leg (ankle, calf, thigh). In fact my thighs are still sore. I decided that doing these dance classes was a way for me to get fit by doing something fun that I enjoy.

My near-perfect day came Saturday at the annual Albuquerque Folk Festival, an event where musicians, dancers, singers, folk artists, etc. gather in one place and hold workshops, concerts, and performances. That morning, I attended my first tap class and in the afternoon participated in two different singing events. One was singing old folk and rock songs from the 50s and 60s (my era) and the other was singing spirituals and world music in three part harmony or three parts. I don't know how this choir director got 30 people who'd never sung together before to do it, but it was beautiful, and spiritual and very moving.

Must remember my near-perfect day when my spirits need lifting. I've decided that retirement should include more of these kinds of things. I'm thinking about joining this chorus, in addition to Sugartime (my singing duo) as well as the two dance classes.

What fills your heart with joy?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I like the way you store happy memories up for darker days! I need to do this myself. So glad you had a wonderful Saturday!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful you found those dance classes. I don't remember that festival from when we lived there.

Darlene said...

I think it would be so much fun to dance to show tunes! Right now I get my exercise from gardening and chasing animals. Would rather dance, I think.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome you had a perfect day! Keep dancing and you'll have even more of them.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, that's a new thought for me as well.
Diane, it is only 11 or 12 years old, so I don't think it existed when you were here
Darlene, living rooms work very well for dancing!!!
Alex, that's the plan - thanks!

Arlee Bird said...

Dance can be such great exercise for the body. Participatory events are good exercise for the spirit and our social nature. That does sound like a excellent day with things you enjoy.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Road trippin' with A to Z
Tossing It Out

Bish Denham said...

I'm glad you had a great day. I haven't taken tap since I was a teen. Another exercise you might try is yoga. It's good for everything!

Karen Walker said...

You are right, Lee. All of the above.
Bish, yoga and I have never really connected - but hey, maybe some day!

Jay Noel said...

I too have a heart condition, but I've been fortunate that my heart remodeled itself and I don't have symptoms (plus I take some good meds). So it's VERY scary.

Glad you're feeling better. I'd just take it easy and enjoy all the fun stuff you get to do. My parents are both retired, and they're having a blast.

Robin said...

I'm hoping to start taking dance lessons again in a few months. It's excellent exercise, but it feels more like fun.

Remember that day. Remind yourself to do these things which make you happy. Sometimes we need to be prompted to experience joy. Of course, sometimes it brings joy just to remember joyful times.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I think for someone who loves music as much as you do, a dance class with showtunes would be great.

My exercise of choice is walking. Most of my walking path doesn't allow for really fast walking. Too uneven. Lot hazzards to trip one up. I used to be able to walk two miles in about 30 minutes but that was on a running track. I've been looking at what I have and I do have a stretch where I could walk faster and it even has a hill. Walking is exercise for my spirit as well as body. Gotta to take care of both. :-)

I've always loved to dance and still boogy around the house to various songs. :-) We live so far out that finding classes like what you're speaking of is next to impossible unless I want to travel 30 miles one way. I don't.

Sia McKye Over Coffee