Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

It's official

Yup, it's official. I am going to self-publish my debut novel, The Wishing Steps. I really do feel this is the right path for this story. I have someone designing the interior pages and formatting the book. Someone else is working on the cover. I am looking for folks who are willing to write back cover blurbs. September is the six-year anniversary of the voice asking me to tell its story. I can't tell you how excited I am that I will finally be able to share it.

With that, of course, comes all sorts of feelings. The story deals with subject matter that could be considered controversial. Hopefully, what that means is that it will trigger dialogue. I usually tend to avoid conflict of any kind. When you're a writer, that's impossible.

I've listened to the voice and written down the words. Once I put those out in the world, however folks respond is not up to me, is it? It's all about trusting myself and trusting my path.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, okay?
Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Jay Noel said...

Congrats on your new venture. It's a bold new world, and you will be great.

Any book that stirs up dialog is always a great thing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! When do you think it will be released?

Murees Dupé said...

Congratulations! You have worked so hard and now it's time to share your vision with the world. Wishing you the best!

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations, Karen. Sounds like you're on the right path. Wishing you much success and looking forward to the book's release.

Karen Walker said...

Jay, yes, a bold new world since I visited it in 2009. Thanks.
Alex, I'm hoping for Fall (early November if I'm lucky)
Murees, yes, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Thank you.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Mason.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Karen - that's good ... a decision made is a good one - and I'm sure as you say it's the right thing at the right time ... the Voice has been speaking and now spoken ... that's a grand bit of news - cheers Hilary

Julie Flanders said...

How exciting! So glad to read this. I know the book will be wonderful. Congratulations!

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Hilary, you are delightful - thank you!
Julie, as you know, it's exciting and scary both - thanks

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, you aren't alone. The Voice is there. She will guide you an give you answers as the need arises. So glad you chose this path that guarantees your story stays intact. Who knows what a publisher's editor would do to make it "more correct"? Bravo. Soar and fly!

Karen Walker said...

Sharon, you're a dear, dear friend. Thanks for these words of wisdom

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

That's awesome, Karen! Best of luck with this.

William Kendall said...

Congratulations!

I just came over from Talli's blog, saw your comment about a trip to England next year. I'll leave a few links here for photoblogs in the British isles that I follow in an hour or so to give you some ideas.

William Kendall said...

And here they are:

http://www.aglimpseoflondon.com/

http://bitaboutbritain.blogspot.ca/

http://spudsdailyphoto.blogspot.ca/

http://beestonblog.blogspot.ca/

http://lolfrompasa.blogspot.ca/

http://wolvdailyphoto.blogspot.ca/

http://spadsky-hydedailyphoto.blogspot.ca/

http://hullvalley.blogspot.ca/

http://occasionalscotland.blogspot.ca/

http://dailyphotoisleofman.blogspot.ca/

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Paul,
Wow, thanks, William. Off to check them out!

Arlee Bird said...

Congratulations! And best wishes for success!

Just let me know when you need me and I can give you space on my blog to promote.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

OH, Lee, you are an angel. Thank you. Will do.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Congratulations, Karen! Sometimes the hardest part is just making the decision to go for it. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you.

P.S. If you had a gadget in your sidebar so I could sign up to receive notice of your posts by email, I'd be a very happy camper.

Karen Walker said...

Patricia, I'll try to figure out how to do that! Thanks.