Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group - September

Anybody else feeling as if time is flying by - seems like yesterday I was posting for August. Anyhoo, it is that time of month again. www.http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com Our awesome Ninja Captain Alex's monthly writing support group. Check out this link for other members and how to join.






Am I insecure this month? Duh! I made the decision to self-publish. I was hoping to have a cover to show you today, but it's not quite there yet. The book is already formatted. I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb and found spacing errors, words missing, things in italics that shouldn't be. Utterly normal for this to happen, but it's so easy to miss something. Those will be fixed in the next few days. Then I must go through it again to make sure everything was done and nothing else went glitchy.

But aside from those technical details, I'm terrified to put this book out in the world. When you pour your heart and mind and body and soul into something and then share it, there is always the potential for criticism and judgment. Heck, we get criticized and judged for statements we make in our lives as well. I get that intellectually. But I'm human. I want people to not only like what I've written, but to understand its meaning. And I can't control that -- darn it.

So, you bet I'm insecure. But someone once wrote a book called Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway. So that's me this month. Very very afraid, but putting one foot in front of the other and doing what I need to do to get my baby out there. SIGH!

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

28 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I have Feel the Fear on my bookshelf.

I love finding all those little mistakes and glitches when formatting. Which is good, since that's part of what I do.

You're controlling all you can control, Karen.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I too have read 'Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway'. You're doing the right thing .. one step at a time - good luck with the edits and finding those little mistakes ...

You'll get there .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Diane, the title alone has helped me over the years.
Hilary, thanks for the cheers!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Karen, take one step at a time, you are doing as much as you can. Good luck with your book.

Illsa Gorrey said...

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. I've never published anything but blog posts and a couple poems here and there. What you've done takes a lot of courage!

http://teamnetherworldlovesyou.blogspot.com/

Karen Walker said...

Rachna, that's all I can do - one step at a time. Thanks so much.
Illsa, not sure if it's courage, certainly doesn't feel like it. But thanks.

PK HREZO said...

Hi Karen! Congrats on your next book!! SO good to see you.
I see typos in bestselling books all the time, so don't worry. Nothing is ever perfect. I've been wearing a bracelet all summer that says "Driven by the Doubt." I just love it.

Arlee Bird said...

Your progress sounds good. I can understand your uneasiness though. Putting yourself out into the world via your own creation is an intimidating prospect.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Suzanne Furness said...

Good for you, Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway - what a great title and a great way to look at life. I wish you all the best, look forward to seeing your cover soon.

Jen Chandler said...

Karen,

HELLO! It's so good to be back and it was WONDERFUL to see you in my comments this morning. Thank you!! Congratulations on the book and on your brave decision to self-publish. I'm toying with the idea myself, but it stays in the back of my mind right now. My WIP is only half finished and then comes the editing process. Still, I don't think it's ever too early to consider publishing options.

Best of luck this month in the final tweaking of your book baby!! I look forward to that cover reveal and seeing your book take flight!!

Cheers,
Jen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The criticism will come no matter what we do in life. Just ignore it and focus on the good.

Robin said...

It's completely normal to take every comment about what you've written personally. (It would be nice if the person making the comment understood that little fact.)

One of the things that I (hope I) finally learned this summer is this: Not everyone is only going to like you. In fact, the law of thirds is at play. One third of the people you meet will think you're fantastic. Another third will think you're fine. Okay. The last third isn't going to much care for you and might not like you one bit. And that is YOU personally... not your book. As someone who has spent the better part of her life bending over backwards so that EVERYONE will like me, this has been a bit refreshing.

I don't know if the law of thirds makes it any easier for you as a writer or a person, but maybe. I hope. BTW, I think you're fantastic, so put me in the first third column!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

It's scary now but once the book actually comes out you'll find it was all very anti-climatic. You'll probably sell a few, get a few nice reviews that make your day. If you're really lucky you'll sell a ton and get mountains of great reviews. But the chances of you getting spectacularly negative feedback are pretty slim. You'll take a deep breath, sigh, and realize "Hey, it wasn't that bad. What was I worried about?"

And then you'll do it all over again. ;-)

Madilyn Quinn said...

You know, it's scary to get potential bad reviews, but it's just something to learn from. Maybe there's something that's in there that will help you in the future and if not... just dismiss it! Just like with a critique partner, not everything others say work with your style.
Can't wait to see the cover of this new book, congrats on deciding to self-pub! Exciting! :)

- Madilyn Quinn @ NovelBrews

Juneta Key said...

I get ya. I have fear of failing and succeeding. Kudos to you for stepping out. Looking fear in the face and doing it anyway--that is courage. You Go. Cheering you on.
Juneta Writer's Gambit

Karen Walker said...

What an awesome community you are - thanks for these thoughtful and very helpful comments.

Ryan Carty said...

Editing is always so daunting. Like you, each time I think I've caught most of the tiny spacing, formatting errors, I find 10 I've overlooked.

Also, nothing more terrifying than sharing that bit of yourself you've put in writing. I wish I knew how to get beyond that. Maybe that fear is a good thing, keeping us honest.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I've definitely been there. Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway sounds like a good, encouraging read. Best wishes on your release!!!

L.G. Smith said...

Feel the fear and do it anyway. I like that. :)

Nick Wilford said...

It's nerve-racking but so nice to be able to share what we have created. You'll be fine!

cleemckenzie said...

That's a big decision! I wish you the best with this adventure.

Julie Flanders said...

I agree, the title of that book alone has helped me many times. Your book will rock, no doubt in my mind.
And yes, time has definitely flown!!

Melissa Sugar said...

It sounds like a lot of people have Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway on there bookshelf and it sounds like one that we could all benefit from. Congratulations on making the decision and moving forward. Congrats on your upcoming book release. I will check back in a few days to see your cover. I can't think of anything more intimidating, after completing a book than putting it out there for the world to read and waiting in anticipation for the reviews. I'm sure you're book will be a big hit. It takes a lot of courage to do it and I wish you all the best. I just bookmarked your page so I will remember to come back, not only to see your cover reveal, but to purchase your book once it is released.

Nicola said...

Karen, you have poured your heart and soul into your novel, nurtured it along the way. It is ready to break free and go it alone in the world. You have provided it with everything it needs for success. Yes, we do worry when our babies leave the nest, but it will soar! And don't worry if there is a last minute unnoticed error - these things can be easily rectified. Congratulations on all your achievements so far and enjoy pressing that 'PUBLISH' button. It will be exhilirating! I look forward to seeing your cover.

Karen Walker said...

thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the support and caring, thoughtful comments.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

It's really difficult when the time comes to offer up to the public something as private as one's beloved manuscript. I look forward to reading it, Karen.

Diane Burton said...

Congrats on your choice to go the self-pubbing route. After 4 years, I don't regret my decision to do so. As many times as you and/or someone else go through that ms, as soon as it's published you'll find a mistake. It happens! :)

Best wishes,
Diane IWSG #95

Karen Walker said...

Karen, thanks for understanding
Diane, made me smile cause I know you're right!