Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, September 19, 2015

one of the best books I've read in a long, long time




This photo makes me so happy. This is Mark David Gerson, author of 12, count them, 12 award-winning books. Here he is with his latest, an exquisite, poignant novel called Sara's Year. From the first sentence to the last, I was hooked, mesmerized and caught up in the lives of Esther, Sarah and Bernie. When the book ended, I cried for more -- I'm not kidding. I need a sequel. This book has everything that makes me unable to put a book down: characters I love and care about, a need to find out what happens to them, conversations and scenes that are so real I feel I am a fly on the wall, and a story that affects me emotionally just as the characters are affected, and in the end, I am changed along with the characters. I. Could. Not. Put. This. Book. Down.



Here is everything you need to know about Sara's Year. 

Esther and Sarah share a single passion: to be the best they can be – on an epic scale. That's easier dreamed than done in Jewish Montreal on the eve of World War II. Fifty years later when death takes Esther, her son and her oldest friend must each decide whether Esther's abandoned dreams will defeat them or spur them on to triumphs of their own. 

I love the message this story carries: It’s never to late to follow your dreams. I was 50 when I picked up a guitar for the first time, 60 when I began singing and performing in retirement communities, in my fifties when I went back to school to get a college degree, and in my 60's when I published my first book. So I speak from experience when I say it is so important to follow our hearts. Sara's Year shows beautifully why that is and the consequences if we don't.

For more info and preorders of signed copies visit this website:

To view the book trailer, follow this link:
https://youtu.be/e0yoDkkF59s or the bottom of the page at www.sarasyear.com

Be sure to check out Mark David's website as well: www.markdavidgerson.com


And a special honor for me personally. I finally wrote a blurb that made it onto the back cover of a book. And that it was this particular book means so much to me because I respect Mark David as a writer so much.

14 comments:

Murees Dupé said...

What an honor to have your blurb on the back! Yay! It is definitely a great message. I don't think one is ever too late to do what you want. Thank you for sharing this with us. Have a lovely weekend.

Stephanie Faris said...

Yay! I've never done a blurb. What an honor that would be, especially if you really LOVED the book!

Karen Walker said...

Murees and Stephanie, yes, it is an incredible honor. Especially for this book.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm not familiar with Gerson, but I know that feeling you describe about reading a book that has a lot of impact on me. It's been said that opening sentences are very important and I so agree with that. I like to be drawn into a story right from the start.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Yes, me, too, Lee.

Melissa Sugar said...

How exciting and what an honor. I've never done a blurb on the back either, but I can imagine how much it must mean to you and what an honor to be asked. Congratulations

Karen Walker said...

Thanks so much, Melissa. It means a great deal to me.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - such a great passionate review ... the book certainly made an impact on you. How wonderful to be asked to be included for the blurb - brilliant - well done ... and so much can happen - cheers Hilary

Crystal Collier said...

Definitely outside my normal wheelhouse, but I'm betting I'd lvoe this one. Adding it to the list...

Manzanita said...

That is such an honor for you and everyone always reads the blurbs on
the back of the covers. Yayyyyy

The book sounds absolutely inspiring. Such an excellent review.

Karen Walker said...

Crystal, I hope you do.
Manzanita, it was inspiring to me. And yes, it is a huge honor

DMS said...

This does sound like a great book. Congrats on getting your book put on the back too- that is exciting. :) Not easy to write the blurbs, or at least the ones I have written have been tough. I guess the more I use twitter the easier it will be to be short and sweet. :)

Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Jess. I agree, blurbs are not easy to write -

Bish Denham said...

Just reading about the story made the hairs stand up on my arms and then... to read that your blurb is on the back cover... Congratulations!