Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Wishing Steps

That's the title of my debut novel. So much has happened since IWSG post. I have had a photo shoot for author pic. I have chosen said pic. Once it is placed on the back cover, the book is complete. The inside has been formatted and copy-edited and checked for format errors. It is done to the best of my ability. I am hoping to have a cover pic and back page in the next few days.

I am also busy setting up an Amazon author page, Facebook author page, and setting up accounts at all the e-pub sites. The print version will be available on Amazon.com. (author collapses here in relief).

I am both excited and terrified to put this book out in the world, but I know for sure I was called to write it and am called to send it out into the universe. Whatever happens after that is none of my business.

I recently had a profound insight about myself - one that is radically changing the way I move through my world. It is that I am absolutely driven by what other people will think of me. It operated on an unconscious level so it was hard for me to see and understand how insidious it is and how much it impacted my life.

For example, if I'm out with a group of people and one of the group is behaving in an inappropriate manner, I would be aware of feeling embarrassed for them. But it goes deeper. What I was really feeling was fear of what others would think of me because I was with this person.

Now, with my book coming out and it's subject matter that has already made some people uncomfortable, I have to work really hard to let go about peoples' opinions. Someone's negative reaction shouldn't change the fact that I wrote the book I was called to write.

Hope to be back in a few days with the cover.

I want to leave you with this last thought:

I just finished reading Wayne Dyer's memoir "I Can See Clearly Now," which I'd started before he died. One of the many concepts he talks about is how we're all connected to God, Divine energy, the Tao, whatever you choose to call it. I've had trouble with that concept - just couldn't see it. At the same time, I'm working on a gigantic jigsaw puzzle. When I wrote my memoir in 2009, I felt as if I were putting a the pieces of my life together like a jigsaw puzzle, so that analogy was already at work when I had this insight. I saw the universe as a huge jigsaw puzzle. When you work a puzzle, there are colors that go together, and if you try to fit the wrong color in with the others, it doesn't work. But when the puzzle is finished, all the colors are part of the whole. And I suddenly got that is how the universe works. The people and the land are all the pieces and I fit in my own little circle colors and shapes, but I am not directly connected to your little colors and shapes on the other side of the world. But we're all part of the whole.
The insight is only a few days old but I'm already noticing slight changes in how I'm perceiving and treating others.

Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

Murees Dupé said...

Congratulations! You have come so far on your writing journey! I am so happy for you. I recently had to work on the same problem, of caring what others thought. But, like you said, you did the best you could and that is enough. All the best with your cover. I can't wait to hear more.

Julie Flanders said...

Love the title and can't wait to see the cover. Congratulations!

Karen Walker said...

Murees, yes, we are on a similar place on this writing journey - let's keep fingers crossed for each other.
Julie, thanks so much

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome! Love it when a plan comes together.
Are you proud of it? That's the opinion that really matters.

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Alex, I am. Thanks

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's amazing how fast it's all come together. And you didn't think you could do it.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, my writing coach reminded me of that just the other day. I was absolutely convinced I could not write a novel. I'm so jazzed. Tomorrow I will post my cover.

Nicola said...

Many congratulations, Karen. So pleased everything is coming together. My mother taught me a great lesson from an early age: only worry about the things you can change. So don't worry about other people's opinions about you. Stand proud and have confidence in your fabulous work. Be your lovely self! Can't wait to see the cover - and continue to enjoy your journey.

Karen Walker said...

Nicola, you are one lucky lady to have had such a wise mom. Thanks.