Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, November 12, 2015

a new blog post idea

After completing my blog book tour for The Wishing Steps, I realized that many seemed to be really interested in the voice that came to me in Ireland and Scotland, asking me to tell its story. During the editing process, that voice asked me to write down all the wisdom that came through while I was writing the book - both the wisdom that ended up in the story - and the wisdom that came through for me. I thought it needed to be another book, but I don't think so. At least not at this point. I'm going to share it here, on my blog. It fits - the theme of this blog from the very beginning has been following the whispers.

So, to begin, we must go back to June of 2009 - before I went to Ireland and Scotland and heard that voice. I was on a retreat with one of my closest friends on the Oregon coast, doing exercises from my favorite writing book, Mark David Gerson's Voice of the Muse. One of the exercises was to set your intention. Writing a novel appeared on that list. Then I read these words from Mark David's precious book:"If any character comes to you and demands his/her story be told through you, you can trust that all you need lies within you."

I won't share the litany of negative thoughts and feelings that came through here - but you all can use your imaginations.

Then I did an exercise called "song of your heart" from the book. The following flowed through me. It's a bit long, so if it speaks to you, forgive me for the length. It was a free-writing exercise beginning with the words: I hear the drumbeat of my heart...

I hear the drumbeat of my heart...my heart beats a rhythm and I hear its song, dance to its beat, move with its lyrics. I sing the drumbeat, beat beat thump thump. The sounds of of my heart shifts the energy of my soul as I put thoughts on paper. Hear my thoughts. Hear my words. Hear my whispers. I am calling you to me. I am your Siren Song. I am calling you to rise above your persona - the you you think you are. I am calling you to your wisdom. The lush, rich energy of all you have been, all you are and all you are meant to be. You, Karen, are a Priestess..what that means is that you know what you know, you know who you are, you know who others are and you have the wisdom to act on that knowledge and awareness. The drumbeat of your heart beats every second every minute of every day, sending you the messages you need to hear. Be still and listen. It will sing you your song, your story, your next step, your life.

I hear the drumbeat of my heart. I feel the drumbeat of my heart, telling me I am alive, filled with the creative energy of the universe and ready to soar to new heights. There are no priorities in your writing. It will flow out of you like your blood flows in and out of me. I am the center of your being Honor your mind and your other organs, but if you listen to me, you will grow. I am the drumbeat of your heart. I am your lifeblood. Within me is the heart of the heart of the heart of all things. All knowing. All pervading. All powerful. Endless and eternal.

This was Goddess speaking to me. At that moment, I didn't understand what She was saying.

To be continued...

Blessings
Karen


9 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

The stories within and without us are limitless. We just need to pay close attention in order for them to come through clearly to us.

Seems like you've got a renewed blogging energy after your book tour. That's a good thing.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Lee, it seems that I did, indeed, get renewed energy for this art form. For that's what I realized it is.
Thanks so much for your support.

Robin said...

I'm so glad you found your next topic to blog about here.

The voice within. Inner knowing. I think that's something that we all can relate to!

Karen Walker said...

Cool. Thanks, Robin. Glad it resonates.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

But you figured it out!

Karen Walker said...

Yup, Alex, I sure did. It just took a little while.

Stephanie Faris said...

Sometimes that voice within gives us the ideas of a lifetime. Sometimes it's a voice telling us we aren't good enough. We should listen more to that first voice, as you did.

Karen Walker said...

Stephanie, I've had a lifetime of listening to the voice from what I call my dark side. It took awhile to discern the difference and that has made all the difference in my life.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - that's good you've realised your way forward ... so pleased for you - cheers Hilary